Monday, November 07, 2011

Stretch and Grow!


At a church I served  there was an old, dilapidated barn on the property. Someone caught the vision of transforming it into a youth center. It needed new floors, wiring, insulation, windows, and siding. The congregation took on the project and I was part of the team. The lead guy, Brent, handed me a tool and assigned me a task. My response was - "I can’t. I've never done that before." He took the tool, showed me how to use it, and then he said something he often said: “Stretch and grow!" He loved that phrase. Brent was also a gifted musician at the piano. I am a dabbler on the piano and I play mostly for enjoyment and worship when I am alone. He would occasionally hear me playing and offer tips on technique. If I said, "I don't think I can" his response was to encourage me to try with his signature line: Stretch and grow!

How do you face a tough assignment? Procrastinate? Gripe? Try to get someone else to do it? Gather resources? Jump in?

A person's response flows from many causes, but primary among them is confidence. "How confident do I feel that I can really do this well?" is a question just about everyone of us has asked ourselves. When we are unsure that we have what it takes, most of us will be reluctant to move ahead.

A messenger from God came to a farmer named Gideon with an assignment.  "Gideon, go liberate your people from the oppression of the Midianites."  Imagine a humble farmer with no warrior background called to become a national leader and military strategist. Gideon realistically assessed himself and replied, "But Lord, how can I rescue Israel? My clan is the weakest in the whole tribe of Manasseh, and I am the least in my entire family!" (Judges 6:15, NLT) He was not being cowardly or shirking duty. He simply wondered how he could do this thing since he had no experience and no influence. Nothing in the text would lead us to conclude that Gideon was not speaking truthfully. The story lets us see that Gideon was not a man given to boldness either. When the messenger came to Gideon, he was hiding out from the marauders threshing his wheat in a winepress. Instead of doing this task on an open threshing floor where he could be seen, he was doing it a very hard way, in hiding, a little at a time. What we conclude, reading between the lines, is that this is a cautious man, not flamboyant or quick to lead.  God, however, saw something in Gideon that others did not see. Here’s the salutation that the angel used: "Mighty hero, the Lord is with you!" (Judges 6:12, NLT) Obviously Gideon didn't think of
himself in those terms.

So how would the Lord God turn a fearful farmer into a bold leader? Take note of the clincher line. The LORD answered, "I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites together." (Judges 6:16, NIV) From the moment that Gideon was convinced that he would not do the task alone, he was a changed man. If you want to read a story of a man who grew in faith as the Lord patiently developed him for the assigned task, read those chapters in Judges. You will be encouraged to respond obediently and in faith when an opportunity is presented to you.

Has God handed you a tough assignment that appears impossible given your present abilities? Are you avoiding it, trying to find another to do it, or griping about it?
Here's a better response. Ask the Spirit of God to walk you through it, to show you the way - one step at a time. He will patiently grow you into the task.

Here is the promise of the Lord. Take it to heart today. Let it speak to you so you will be ready to stretch and grow! *He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we may boldly say: "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?" (Hebrews 13:5-6, NKJV)

_____________________________

"Father, as I look at my life I often feel that I am the 'least from among the weakest.'
The gap that I see between my skills, my abilities, and the work of building your Kingdom is wide.
Keep me from fear by steadying me with Your hand on my shoulder.
Help me to live in a way that lets You lead me - obediently, holy, and faithfully in prayer.
Holy Spirit, develop a great "God-confidence" in me so that I will be ready to do what you ask me to do -
today and to eternity.
In Jesus' name. Amen."
__________________

All this pain
I wonder if I'll ever find my way
I wonder if my life could really
Change at all

All this earth
Could all that is lost ever be found
Could a garden come up from this
Ground at all

All around
Hope is springing up from this old ground
Out of chaos life is being
Found in You

Chorus 1
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust
You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of the dust

You make me new You are making me new
You make me new You are making me new

Beautiful Things
© worshiptogether.com songs (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
Lisa Gungor | Michael Gungor
CCLI License No. 810055
j______________________

Jerry D. Scott - Sr. Pastor
33 Brass Castle Road
Washington, NJ  07882
908-689-7777 

No comments: