Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Anger’s Acid


An email showed up announcing yet another disappointment that I needed to process. “Come on,” I angrily thought to myself, “give me a break.”  The details are not important, but suffice to say, my character has been under development recently. Frustration has been a daily companion. I find myself prone to anger which, unless I quickly recognize and redirect it, becomes a corrosive acid that eats away at my spirit and spills over onto the people around me.

Many Christians feel that anger is a sinful emotion. They fail to remember the indignation of the Old Testament prophets who spilled fury onto those who defied the Lord and brought dishonor on His Name before the world. Jesus’ rebukes of those who victimized others in the name of God only to enrich themselves are expressions of anger. Anger can be valuable, a powerful catalyst for change, in ourselves and our circumstances. Holy anger is always fueled by equal measures of hating sin and feeling the pain that sin brings on those deceived by it. But, when does good anger turn into destructive wrath? That’s the fine line. Wrath grows out of fear for our safety, feeling threatened by some situation, or by our own self interest being thwarted.

The Bible says “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold." (Ephesians 4:26-27, NIV) Another way to say it – Keep anger on a leash and do not allow one day’s anger to  carry over into the next. If you do, the devil will use it to enter your life!  Wise words, indeed. The most destructive form of anger is one directed at the Lord God. When we let our disappointment with circumstances simmer, it often boils over into resentment. “How could You let this happen to me? I thought you loved me. A good God would not permit such a thing, would intervene on my behalf.” Job slide into anger with the Lord and demanded a hearing. God invited him to speak up, but offered no defense of His actions except to remind Job that He was great and powerful. “Trust Me!” is implied throughout the 38th and 39th chapters of Job. Job wisely chose to do so. In a great passage I try to remember when I’m angry he says: "I’m speechless, in awe—words fail me. I should never have opened my mouth!" (Job 40:4, The Message)

Tasting the acid of anger today? Feeling the knotted muscles of tension?

Tell the Lord about it!
In a place alone with Him, talk it over with God. Ask Him to help you sort through the issues. Standard advice for dealing with anger includes “Count to 10 before you speak.”  Better to go to prayer!

Talk it over with a friend! 
When I was angered, I reached out to trusted friends who both encouraged and offered a differing perspective. Take care that you don’t just look for people to join you in your emotions.  That’s like adding gasoline to a fire, explosions may result. Give your friend the opportunity to challenge your emotions, to tell you where you may be getting it all wrong.

Work at acceptance!
No one that I know experiences life in a way that is completely to their liking. People disappoint us. Unforeseen circumstances mess up our plans. We are caught in storms we did not cause and cannot change. Forgiveness is a powerful antidote to this kind of anger. Gently allowing for the imperfections of others creating a rich reservoir of forgiveness from which we can draw when we fail, and we will. The Bible urges us to ‘make the most of every opportunity.’  That is not just written about the things we like, situations we find pleasant, or people who make us feel good! Even Jesus, the perfect Man, wrestled with acceptance. On the night of His betrayal, He was stressed.  But rather than rage about the injustice of it all, He knelt in the Presence of His Father and prayed, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” (Luke 22:42, NIV)

Here’s the word from the Word. May the Spirit use it to restore our peace.
"Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you
." (Ephesians 4:31-32, NIV)

No comments: