Friday, September 09, 2011

The King and I


By nature and experience, I am deeply suspicious of institutional power!  In almost every instance that I can remember, when a group of people is handed authority without a system of checks and balances in place, that power is soon used to enrich those who hold it and oppress those without it. But there is One whose power I love and to Whom I willingly; no, let’s make that eagerly, submit. He is my King.  "Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen." (1 Timothy 1:17, NIV)

Those words were first written to a young pastor who found ministry difficult. Paul opens his letter to him urging him to stand up to the false teachers that opposed him and reminding Tim that God was greater than his own personal temptations.  He gives a short testimony of his own. "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life." (1 Timothy 1:15-16, NIV)  Then, he breaks into this shout of worship - "Deep honor and bright glory to the King of All Time— One God, Immortal, Invisible, ever and always. Oh, yes! " (1 Timothy 1:17, The Message)  If you’re where you can do it, read that line loudly, joyfully, declaring to all the world your praise for the King!

I love Jesus, the Man, who I meet in the Gospels. From those pages the mystery of “God Immanuel” is handed to me. By faith I receive that truth that He is my Savior. But, the revelation of Jesus, the Christ, is not complete in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.  In Revelation, we meet the King.  Do you know this Jesus? "They (the evil of the world) will make war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will overcome them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings—and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers.” (Revelation 17:14, NIV) "I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean." (Revelation 19:11-14, NIV)  When I read that my heart leaps with joy, my faith stirs.  

He is a King who loves me, who uses His power benevolently for me. He will not oppress me. He raises me up. He extends His power to protect me and promises to bring me into His kingdom, under His reign. Is He YOUR King, too?  Today, I took all my trials, my fears, my foes and petitioned my King to intervene. What a release from fear and despair I found at the Throne of God.

Crown Him King, disciple.  "Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen." (1 Timothy 1:17, NIV


Majesty, worship His majesty.
Unto Jesus be all glory,
Honor and praise.
Majesty, kingdom authority
Flow from His throne
Unto His own, His anthem raise.

So exalt, lift up on high
The name of Jesus.
Magnify, come glorify
Christ Jesus, the King.
Majesty, worship His majesty.
Jesus who died, now glorified,
King of all kings.

Majesty

Hayford, Jack
Mandina/Rocksmith Music
© 1981 Rocksmith Music (Mandina/Rocksmith Music [c/o Trust Music Management, Inc.])
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: