Friday, September 16, 2011

Guaranteed return on investment


After a 5 day hospital stay and surgery, I was thankful for my medical insurance. Without it, I would have faced a bill in excess of $50,000!  Insurance is in place for things we hope never happen - accidents, fires, or floods. It is a 'just in case' monthly expense that I do not enjoy paying but appreciate when needed. I also send money each month to my 401(k) account in preparation for that time when I will no longer be working. That money is not an expense; it’s an investment.  I anticipate receiving my money back, plus some accrued interest, 15 years from now.

How do regard your faith? Is it ‘fire insurance’ or is it an investment?  Some serve Jesus Christ just enough to feel insured! They attend church just to be sure they 'keep in touch.' They give offerings not to joyfully participate in God's Kingdom work in the world, but to create a resource of Divine favor. Almost superstitiously, they hope their religion will keep tragic events from them, or at least, allow them to ask for divine assistance in a crisis. What an adventure in missing the point. Christianity is not about ‘appeasing God.’ 

True disciples invest themselves in God’s kingdom. Their wealth, their health, their happiness, their children, their sense of purpose are all secured - not by Merrill Lynch or Morgan Stanley - but by Jesus Christ! If you think I am mistaken, read the words of Paul which he penned to Timothy, near the end of his life, from death row in Rome. He is not in despair, nor does he express regret for putting his entire life under the management of Christ. "I am not ashamed, (embarrassed by my present circumstances) because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day. (the Day of Judgment)" (2 Timothy 1:12, NIV) "Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing." (2 Timothy 4:8, NIV)

They read the prospectus found in the Scripture and are sure of a rich return on investment. They pour their resources into His work - worshipping, serving, giving - with joy, fully expecting that what they are investing will provide true wealth for their lives - present and future. And, they are right! Jesus gives this investment advice- "Don’t store up treasures on earth! Moths and rust can destroy them, and thieves can break in and steal them. Instead, store up your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy them, and thieves cannot break in and steal them." (Matthew 6:19-20, CEV) In the middle of a talk about generosity of heart that reaches beyond money, Jesus promised this - "Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full—pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back." (Luke 6:38, NLT)

Here's the question -
How do you think of your Christianity,
as insurance - minimal outlay to secure present wealth the in event of catastrophe; or
as an investment - maximum participation with assured return in Eternity?

I’m investing!
"It’s obvious, isn’t it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being." (Matthew 6:21, The Message)

No comments: