Friday, July 01, 2011

Choosing apathy or faith?


 
I think I first read the following line in Peanuts, the cartoon strip - "Blessed is the man who expects nothing for he will never be disappointed!"  There is a lot of truth in that statement, but giving up hope to avoid disappointment is a not a choice I’m willing to make.
·         Love is a risk, but I love anyway!   
·         Prayer can be a mystery, especially when we’re asking for the 'impossible.'  God seems to ignore us at times. Yet, I continue to pray.
·         Taking on a big project can result in a big failure instead of the success we hoped for. But, I’m going to keep on trying.  

Some might see those choices as unwise, but I see them as expressions of faith. What we need most on those days when disappointment shows up is faith that leads us to deeply trust in our Father’s care. “But, Jerry, God didn’t cause this problem. My ____________ did!”  You can fill in that blank with ‘my own stupidity,’ ‘my ex-wife,’ ‘my kids,’ ‘my boss,’ … and it may be true. Choices of others and even our own best intentions create unforeseen results.  But, God knew and He’s bigger than your present situation.  He knows the steps I will take today, but at the same time, He does not make me (or anyone else) a robot. He invites us to walk in His will and He allows us to sin against Him, against others, against ourselves.  He also is perfectly capable of working in all those choices, good and bad, to bring us to maturity. We have this promise: "the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:27-28, NIV)

Faith allows us to live with joy and acceptance of circumstances beyond our control. It demands the humility of a child, a choice to take each day to our “Abba,” profoundly trusting His purposes and plans. When disappointment comes, we tend to ask: "How could You allow this to happen to me?"  Let me suggest a slightly different prayer: "Lord, reveal why You’re allowing this to happen to me." The Bible says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths." NLT Proverbs 3:5-6

In this broken world, full of sin and hatred, of war and of uncertainty about tomorrow those who trust in the Lord will be people of hope. Theirs is not a naive hope that refuses reality. They are blessed with hope that trusts in God's promise to make all things right. And so we pray, ever more earnestly, "May your Kingdom come, and Your will be done - on earth, as it is in Heaven." Amen.

AA taught me the Serenity Prayer.  If you’re struggling with disappointment today, make it your own.

“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next. Amen.”
________________

O Love That Will Not Let Me Go


O love that will not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in Thee.
I give Thee back the life I owe,
That in Thine ocean depths its flow,
May richer fuller be.

O joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to Thee.
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain,
That morn shall tearless be.


Matheson, George / Peace, Albert Lister
© Public Domain

No comments: