Saturday, May 14, 2011

Missing Out on the Best?

John Lennon’s “Imagine” doesn’t really require much imagination. It’s the way many of us live. He wrote:


Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try;
No hell below us, above us only sky.
Imagine all the people, living for today.

I will be busy today and so will you. There are weeds in the garden, problems to be solved, expectations to be met. All of this conspires to keep us from thinking about ‘why’ and ‘what’ of our existence. Then, every now and again, we are summoned to a funeral where the lifeless corpse reminds us that the music stops sooner or later for us all. We determine to do better, to give more of ourselves to God and good. Our intentions are good, but almost before the grave is closed, our cell phones are ringing and we’re back at ‘living for today.’

A consistent thread of truth in the Scripture is about the brevity of life here and our appointment with God who will look past our bank accounts and awards. His concern will be if we have faithfully fulfilled His purposes, living in faith, building his Kingdom. A rich king who knew much about accomplishment lamented the way he lived with the famous words, “Vanity of vanities. All is vanity.” Solomon did much for Israel. He even seemed to do much for God, building a spectacular place of worship in Jerusalem. But, when he reflected on the days of his life, he offered this counsel: "Don’t let the excitement of youth cause you to forget your Creator. Honor him in your youth before you grow old and say, “Life is not pleasant anymore.” (Ecclesiastes 12:1, NLT) "That’s the whole story. Here now is my final conclusion: Fear God and obey his commands, for this is everyone’s duty. God will judge us for everything we do, including every secret thing, whether good or bad." (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14, NLT)

Moses’ Psalm includes this prayerful line: "Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom." (Psalm 90:12, NLT) I am going to breathe that prayer all day. I hope you will, too. “Ah, come on, Jerry!” you say, “Who wants to be so gloomy? Who wants to ponder their mortality?” None of us may find that a desirable thing, but remembering that we are dying brings amazing clarity to our choices or, at least it should. Is that diversion you spend so much time and money on really accomplishing the work of God in your life? Does getting more stuff and piling possessions higher really justify all those hours spent away from family? Will you be glad to look on Jesus’ face as He points to the treasure you have invested in Heaven’s storehouse? (and I’m not just talking about church offerings here!)

Ray Boltz penned another set of lyrics about the way to live with Heaven’s promise guiding this day’s decisions. It’s not as lyrical as Lennon’s lines, but it is much more compelling.

One by one they came,
far as your eyes could see.
Each life somehow
touched by your generosity.
Little things that you had done,
sacrifices that you made,
They were unnoticed on this earth
In Heaven now proclaimed.


Thank you for giving to the Lord,
I am a life that was changed.
Thank you for giving to the Lord,
I am so glad you gave.

Let’s not miss out on the best life now.
Here’s the word from the Word.
“Then the King will say …
‘Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what’s coming to you in this kingdom. It’s been ready for you since the world’s foundation. And here’s why: I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, I was homeless and you gave me a room, I was shivering and you gave me clothes, I was sick and you stopped to visit, I was in prison and you came to me.’

“Then those ‘sheep’ are going to say, ‘Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?’


Then the King will say,
‘I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.’ " (Matthew 25:34-40, The Message)

No comments: