Monday, May 16, 2011

Dad, what do you think?

I miss my Dad today. I would love to be able to have a cup of coffee and talk over life with him. Chrissie was here this weekend. More than once she said, "Dad, what do you think?" as she talked about some decisions Peter and she are making about the future. She's an independent adult and I have the highest confidence that she will choose wisely. Nothing I shared with her was earth-shaking. She just wanted the blessing of Dad's experience and wisdom. And, I'd sure like some of that right now, too.


I am one big question this morning. "What should I do? Where can I go for advice? Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction?" I am not questioning God's existence. I am not dealing with doubt as to His goodness. I am not seeking a new career or calling. I feel an acute need to be 'fathered' by Him today, to benefit from His wisdom to know His correction and/or affirmation. Yesterday our worship team sang, "Oh, Lead Me" in church. It was a personal prayer for me. "Draw me to my knees, so we can talk... let me know You're here with me."

When we are unsettled, when multiple challenges face us, it is a time of vulnerability to temptation. Under that pressure, we are much more likely to seek comfort in the wrong places or to make a choice that gives a quick result but that sabotages future success. The more desperation we feel, the more likely we are to grab for something, anything, that soothes the soul. Time and experience confirms the wisdom of the Scripture that urges me to lay aside the questions and to 'be still!' The full passage counsels the saint torn by indecision to pause and look up. "Come, see the glorious works of the Lord: See how he brings destruction upon the world. He causes wars to end throughout the earth. He breaks the bow and snaps the spear; he burns the shields with fire. "Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world." The Lord of Heaven's Armies is here among us; the God of Israel is our fortress." (Psalm 46:8-11, NLT)

It is important, too, to pray honest prayers. James reminds us to ask! "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5, NIV) That wisdom may arrive as an inspired thought, a flash of insight. It may be an article you just 'happen' to read. It may be a passage from the Word that takes new light. Perhaps a friend will sense your need and be moved by the Spirit to come alongside and help.

When we ask, we must listen. Listening prayer can be the most difficult kind. But, we must discipline our minds to stop talking, to stop rehearsing our fear or uncertainty so can we can hear the 'still, small voice' that whispers God's assurance to us.

And, then, we must choose patience. Jesus spoke of turbulent times that would come upon the earth and gave this counsel to His disciples. "In your patience possess ye your souls." (Luke 21:19, KJV) Memorize those 7 words and when you're filled with questions, repeat them. What do they mean? "Patience" is a translation of the NT Greek word - 'hupomone' (hoop-om-on-ay) - and it means 'standing firm.' A literal translation would be to 'stand up under pressure.' So, the counsel here is that we renew resolve. Square your shoulders. Show some grit!

Dad is gone. But, the echoes of his counsel, offered to me many times in the past are drawn from one of his favorite Psalms. Let it be your word from the Word for this day.

"Trust in the Lord and do good. Then you will live safely in the land and prosper.
Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart's desires.
Commit everything you do to the Lord.
Trust him, and he will help you. He will make your innocence radiate like the dawn, and the justice of your cause will shine like the noonday sun.




Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act."
(Psalm 37:2-7, NLT)

No comments: