Thursday, April 28, 2011

Throw it away

After eleven years in our current home, we’re moving next week. Bev and I are fairly orderly people, but it’s still amazing how much junk (there’s no better word for it) that we have accumulated. Last week I took 400 lbs. of odds and ends I dragged from our basement to the landfill. Yesterday, it took me over an hour to sort through the armoire in the bedroom. I discarded a box full of ‘important’ papers I had saved, a couple of broken watches, and old cell phone parts. On the surface of things, our home is clean and neat. But, the clutter was lurking just out of sight. It feels good to throw it away.

In my prayer this morning, I invited the Lord to shine the light into the corners and closets of my life! To all appearances, I live a straight-arrow life; faithful to my wife, tithes paid, obligations met. Is there junk hidden away? I’m not talking about the ‘big sins’ that ought to be obvious. The things that clutter my heart could be much more subtle sins: unresolved conflicts, attitudes that are not fully surrendered to His Lordship, fears not matched with faith, motives that are incompatible with belonging to Christ Jesus. The Bible says "let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up." (Hebrews 12:1, NLT)

Disciple, throw it away! When the Spirit of the Lord says, “let it go,” obey His voice! The verse quoted above borrows the illustration of the runner who keeps too many articles of clothing on for the race, only to find his feet tangled and his face in the dirt. When we hang onto favorite sins, excuse ungodly attitudes, make room for grudges, or give ourselves a pass from faithful service we create a potential for failure. At the very least, we will not enjoy the blessing of deep intimacy with our Lover because we have too many other things holding us back.

Read these words from the Word. They are no threat to us if we desire Him above all things. They are a promise! Read them and make the final passage your prayer.

"For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires." (Hebrews 4:12, NLT)

"I, the Lord, search all hearts and examine secret motives. I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve." (Jeremiah 17:10, NLT)
"Put me on trial, Lord, and cross-examine me. Test my motives and my heart." (Psalm 26:2, NLT)
_____________________

Nothing between
My soul and the Savior,
So that His blessed
Face may be seen;
Nothing preventing
The least of His favor:
Keep the way clear!
Let nothing between.

Nothing between,
Like worldly pleasure;
Habits of life,
Though harmless they seem,
Must not my heart
From Him ever sever,
He is my all,
There's nothing between.

Nothing between,
Like pride or station;
Self or friends
Shall not intervene;
Though it may cost me
Much tribulation,
I am resolved
There's nothing between.

Nothing Between
Tindley, Charles Albert
© Public Domain

No comments: