Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sunk or soaring?

Sometimes my life resembles an emotional earthquake! You, too? Are you afraid? Feeling lost? Confused and confounded? There are plenty of reasons for fear. Things we assumed were unshakeable are changing! Our political scene is chaotic both in these United States and in the world. The economy is stalled and prospects for a quick return to prosperity are not in sight. Our government is broke. Some say the dollar is going to rapidly devalue over the next two years. Socially, there are huge challenges in the area of marriage and family.

One might look at these issues and choose to downplay and/or dismiss them: "Change is constant and life turns out just fine." That's only partially true. Life always changes, to be sure, but things don't always turn out for the best! Nations do collapse, families are destroyed, people die. Indifference is not a real option.

We can try to turn off the alarms. There are many ways to drown the sirens that signal distress.

-Turn life into a party! "Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die!"

-Work hard! We can become consumed in what we do and for a time succeed in ignoring the fear that stalks us.

-Get religious! Some people use religious practice like a mind-numbing drub to AVOID engaging with life's problems. Marx called religion the “opiate of the masses.”

God offers real peace to those who deal with fear in His way! We meet fear with faith. If we try to secure ourselves by performing at an ever higher level, or by seeking affirmation from other people, or by pushing away from intimate involvement with others (isolation); we will only increase our fear. But, if we make the active choice to trust God we move from the instability of reacting to our fears to the steady mature endurance that helps us to hold onto the Lord’s way through Hell and high water.

Isaiah was inspired, at a time when terrible crisis loomed before God’s people, to remind them of the way to true peace. Take a look. Read it slowly, with understanding, even if it is familiar to you. "Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:28-31, NIV)

We can soar if we make the choice to meet fear with faith. What is a better picture of freedom than an eagle with wings spread, being carried aloft by the currents of the wind? The Wind of the Spirit will lift us, if we choose to release our fear and embrace His promises. Trust is active, not passive. We look to the Lord to lead. We actively listen for the Spirit's inner voice. We are students of the Scriptures. We conscientiously choose to meet the circumstance of life with integrity. We turn our life to Him, prayerfully committing this day's decisions to His guidance. We stop fretting and ask Him to help us to stand with courage while we wait to see what He's up to!

In this, we are not exempted from troubles, but we gain the assurance we are secure in the Father's embrace and that even death itself cannot separate us from the Father's love! Today, look up and pray:
"Father in Heaven, be the Lord of this day! I choose to trust You. Grant me courage. Settle my soul with your divine Presence so that I will live on purpose and proactively. Keep me from reacting to my fears and help me to respond to Your call. In Jesus’ holy Name, I ask this. Amen." Then, take His strength and go live with courage.

___________________

In 1950, a preacher songwriter named Ira Stanphill faced some huge personal problems and tragedies. From the dark moments emerged this poem which became a well loved Gospel song of that era. A few years ago, country singer, Leann Rimes re-released it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fXin6ofsc8
I Know Who Holds Tomorrow

I don't know about tomorrow,
I just live from day to day.
I don't borrow from its sunshine,
For its skies may turn to gray.
I don't worry o'er the future,
For I know what Jesus said;
And today I'll walk beside Him,
For He knows what is ahead.

I don't know about tomorrow,
It may bring me poverty.
But the One who feeds the sparrow,
Is the One who stands by me.
And the path that is my portion,
May be through the flame or flood;
But His presence goes before me,
And I'm covered with His blood.

Many things about tomorrow,
I don't seem to understand;
But I know who holds tomorrow,
And I know who holds my hand.

© 1950 Singspiration Music (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc., 741 Coolsprings Blvd., Franklin TN 37067)  CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: