Monday, February 21, 2011

"Oh, those idiots!" Fuming and Fussing?

Mark Batterson tells about hearing a speaker named Denis Waitley talk about how he came to live with radically adjusted priorities. Waitley arrived at the Chicago airport and was delayed. When he finally reached the gate the door was being closed. In spite of all his threats and pleas, the gate agent would not allow him onto the aircraft for Los Angeles. He rushed back to the ticket counter prepared to register an angry complaint and re-schedule his flight. Just as he was about to reach the agent, the announcement came that the flight had crashed on take-off, killing all those aboard. Waitley never even turned in his ticket, preferring to keep it ‘as an unforgettable reminder that life is a gift that should never be taken for granted.’ - Soulprints, Multnomah Press, 2011


In the complex world that we live in, I can guarantee that sometime, somewhere, in some way, nearly everyday, we will find ourselves in situations that are not going the way we think they ought to go. Traffic will come to a standstill, keeping us from an important meeting. Our cell phone will go dead just when we have to get a call to the office and we will discover that we forget the charger at home that morning. Our PC will lock up the very hour that our presentation is due. The morning we feel most fragile, our spouse will respond to our need for affirmation with a blast of criticism. The list goes on and on. Are we so in love with ourselves and our agenda that we will give vent to a temper tantrum, treat one of God’s treasures to our word full of contempt, or even shake our puny fist at God for making our life difficult?

I confess that I have been that angry man too many times in my life. I cannot shake the memory of a June Sunday in 1995, when, following church services, we were rushing to our eldest son’s high school graduation. I wish I remembered the day for the joy of his achievement, but instead with terrible regret, I recall bullying everyone; frustrated because some were not moving fast enough to suit me! I got us to the event on time, but my emotions were so ragged, I didn’t really enjoy it! That’s just one memory of too many. I am thankful that those kinds of outburst are much fewer these days. Perhaps I’ve just mellowed with age, but I think the truth is that I have come to realize that my life is not my own. Someone much bigger is in charge of my life and He is able to direct my footsteps and even use the mess ups and missed flights to accomplish His purposes for me.

Near the end of his life, Paul wrote to young Timothy (and to us!) with these inspired words. He was not in a good place. He was not spending his golden years in a villa on the Med, sipping cool drinks and soaking up the sun! He was in a dungeon in Rome, falsely accused of sedition, and facing execution. But, instead of fuming and fussing, take a look at the attitude of a man whose was submitted to the Spirit’s control. "I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day." (2 Timothy 1:12, NIV)

This kind of calm assurance was a life pattern for this man. It wasn’t that he lacked fiery passion. He was highly motivated to spread the good news of the Kingdom across the Roman Empire. But, he also knew that his life belonged to Another. By faith, he chose to accept that the things that appeared to be detours were actually unforeseen opportunities. During an earlier imprisonment, he took note of God’s ability to use his confinement. "I want to report to you, friends, that my imprisonment here has had the opposite of its intended effect. Instead of being squelched, the Message has actually prospered. All the soldiers here, and everyone else, too, found out that I’m in jail because of this Messiah. That piqued their curiosity, and now they’ve learned all about him. Not only that, but most of the followers of Jesus here have become far more sure of themselves in the faith than ever, speaking out fearlessly about God, about the Messiah." (Philippians 1:12-14, The Message)

Stop right now, wherever you are, and honestly thank God that nothing that is happening to you right now is surprising Him!  Take your frustration- big or small – and offer it to Him. Surrender! I mean it. Let the tears spill. Shout, if you must. Don’t give yourself any excuse. Confess that selfishness and thank Him for the privilege of walking through the stuff you’re dealing with today with Him in the lead. Let God, be God.

Here’s a word from the Word.
"How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone. What you ought to say is, “If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that.” Otherwise you are boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil." (James 4:14-16, NLT)

___________________

My Lord knows the way through the wilderness
All I have to do is follow
My Lord knows the way through the wilderness
All I have to do is follow

Strength for today is mine always
And all that I need for tomorrow
My Lord knows the way through the wilderness
All I have to do is follow

My Lord Knows the Way Through the Wilderness
Word and music: Sidney E Cox

No comments: