Wednesday, December 01, 2010

It’s a Festival of Light

Among the Christmas traditions I appreciate most are the lights! I don’t go for the colored ones, too gaudy for me. I think that the clear white ones are the only way to go. I shopped for some to put on the small shrubbery in front of our house (No, my display is not award winning, more of a nod to convention!) and was surprised at the variety now available including some that use LED technology to save energy. Imagine that. Christmas lights that are ‘green.’ I digress! I love the symbolism of the lights. As the long darkness of winter settles over us, we protest by putting up the lights that make our homes bright. In so doing, we remember the One who came to a world dark with evil to be the Light.

Few things change the atmosphere around us more than light, though we seldom think of it. When a morning dawns with brilliant sunshine, we are hopeful of a better day. A room can be made so much more inviting just by changing the way it’s lit. You have heard of ‘mood lighting,’ right? The harsh glare of fluorescent light may be great for a workshop, but not so much for our dining room. Jesus changes our lives by bringing Light, understanding and meaning, to us. Of the Incarnation, the Word says, "What came into existence was Life, and the Life was Light to live by. The Life-Light blazed out of the darkness; the darkness couldn’t put it out." (John 1:4-5, The Message) And… He commissions us to take up the challenge of shining His light into the world. "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:16, NIV)

Disciple, are you living in the Light?
Are you presenting yourself to Him prayerfully, expectantly, and letting His Light shine into your life; or are you living the shadows of disobedient sinfulness?

The glorious Truth is that when we open ourselves to Him, to the truth of His Word, the Light streams into our lives and dispels the darkness. Darkness is a void, the absence of light. To rid ourselves of the ugliness and hopelessness of sin is a futile task. But, when Jesus Christ enters our lives, He does in us, what we cannot do for ourselves.

I hope that the Christmas lights strung around your home, along the streets, and in the stores will cause you to rejoice. “Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you." (Isaiah 60:1-2, NIV)

Here’s a prayer from the Word. In these opening days of Advent, make it your prayer.
"Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me;
let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell.
Then will I go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight.
I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God.
Why are you downcast, O my soul?
Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God." (Psalm 43:3-5, NIV)

_________________________

I wandered so aimless,
Life filled with sin.
I wouldn't let my dear Savior in.
Then Jesus came
Like a stranger in the night.
Praise the Lord! I saw the light!

I was a fool
To wander and stray;
Straight is the gate
And narrow the way.
Now I have traded
The wrong for the right;
Praise the Lord! I saw the light!

I saw the light,
I saw the light.
No more in darkness,
No more in night!
Now I'm so happy,
No sorrow in sight.
Praise the Lord!
I saw the light!

I Saw The Light
Williams, Hank
© 1948. Renewed 1975 Acuff-Rose Music, Inc. / Hiriam Music, Inc. Unaffiliated Catalog (UC)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: