Friday, October 29, 2010

You'll Never Figure Him Out!

People tell me I am a complex person. I think that’s just a nice way to say, “hard to get along with.” I can be brusque and yet I find my heart broken over the pain others feel. I like plain authenticity, yet I insist on excellence almost to perfectionism. I value high level performance but despise any effort that appears to be overdone for the purpose of impressing others. I’m told that I appear confident to the point of arrogance, yet I often feel insecure. Did I say I am complex? Bev, my wife, after 35 years of dealing with me, understands me (and loves me, anyway)! How did she get to know me in this way? We have lived together, wept together, laughed together, worshipped together, raised 4 kids together, argued, loved, and endured. Her knowledge of me came with a price tag – time and intimacy!

I am frequently asked, “Pastor, how can really know Jesus Christ?” In many cases, I discern that the inquirer is looking for a way to figure Him out! They want to define Him, reduce Him to their level of understanding, and learn how to use Him. It’s impossible! He’s knowable, yet mysterious. Our finite minds can never expand enough to understand Him, and yet He invites us to know Him. Such knowledge, however, comes with the same cost as any deep relationship- time and intimacy. We cannot know even the smallest part of Who He is if the only time we are truly aware of His Presence is in church or in the occasional moment of inspiration.

Paul challenges us with his penned words of aspiration. At one time, he was climbing to the heights of his religion, working hard to gain the awards that come from piety and good works. He says, "I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith. I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead!" (Philippians 3:7-11, NLT)

Do you want to know Christ, and in that revelation discover life that is without end? Then, give yourself to Him, without reservation. Invite Him to become Master of each moment, and walk with Him. Let Him lead you through sunshine and rain, glad days and sad ones, too. Trust Him when all is well and equally when nothing makes sense. The Holy Spirit will reveal more and more our Lord of Glory to you, though you’ll never figure Him out. He will become the dearest Friend to you.

S.M. Lockridge delivered a tribute to the King he knew. If you have a few moments, I invite you to watch it.
May his words inspire you to know Him better.

S.M. Lockridge – That’s My King http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z15FlTONVo

No comments: