Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Grief – the chisel of the Lord

In the semi-darkness of the elderly woman’s living room she lay weak and sick, afraid of the days ahead, grieving the loss of much of what she held dear. She does not sin in this sorrow. Who enjoys gradually slipping from vitality, from involvement, into helplessness? Among the young grief is a much different emotion than it is in the aged. A younger person weeps, mourns the loss, and moves forward into the brightness of her future. Their grief is like a thunderstorm that passes with furious turbulence and then the sun shines again. The aging experience grief and feel the pain of unrecoverable loss, their experience like a long storm that lasts for days.

Grief is the chisel of the Lord which He uses to break our tight grip on this present world so that we will reach out to take hold of Him. We cannot escape grief! It comes to all, dressed in loss of one kind or another. Many attempt to avoid it by running from unpleasant situations, hiding from reality. Others refuse it turning to alcohol or drugs to numb the pain. Still others take the road of diversion, seeking as much pleasure as can be found. The wise person endures it, learns from it, and grows through it.

Jesus says, “You’re blessed when you feel you’ve lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you." (Matthew 5:4, The Message) You’re probably more familiar with that passage in these words, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." (Matthew 5:4, NIV) Receiving those words demands deep faith! We would rather pray for a life free of things that make us grieve than to allow our hearts to be broken, wouldn’t we? Those who will not let their hearts be broken are doomed to living superficially, loving things that will slip through their fingers eventually regardless of their determination.

Put your hope in God! The Preacher tells us that there is "a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance." (Ecclesiastes 3:4, NIV) When the sorrows come, let them cause you to love the things that you can never lose and the One who holds life everlasting more.

"Sing to the Lord, you saints of his; praise his holy name. For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. … You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever." (Psalm 30:4-5, 11-12, NIV)

_______________


Father, You are my portion in this life
And You are my hope and my delight.
And I love You, yes, I love You,
Lord, I love You, my delight.

Jesus, You are my treasure in this life
And You are so pure and so kind.
And I love You, yes, I love You,
Lord, I love You, my delight.

My Delight
Park, Andy
© 1987 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing (Admin. by Music Services)

CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: