Thursday, October 14, 2010

Torn up over sin?

On Tuesday evening, Bev and I were watching a primetime TV drama, when we both realized that what was happening on the screen was not right for us to be watching. We were becoming participants in the sinfulness of our culture. It’s not the first time in my life that I have come to that place! Like the proverbial frog in the kettle, I gradually grow accustomed to my environment; sadly even the sinfulness around me and in me! Distance from the Lord’s presence, carelessness about honoring His Name with my words and actions, creep over me with a little compromise here, a little adaptation there.

The Lord, in His severe mercy, will not stand by and allow us to slip into a worldly state without correction. The prophet Joel heard a message from the Spirit. “God is leading an army of destruction your way,” he told the people. The coming time of darkness was God’s way of calling them to Himself. But, it was a terrible time. "The Lord is at the head of the column. He leads them with a shout. This is his mighty army, and they follow his orders. The day of the Lord is an awesome, terrible thing. Who can possibly survive?" (Joel 2:11, NLT)

Disciple, the darkness that has descended on your life may well be the loving correction of the Lord, His call for you to come closer, to be rid of affection for things of this present world. As difficult as it may be to accept, this trial may be a gift from Him to turn you from the path that leads to death! So, what should we do in those times? Screaming, “It’s not fair!” is an exercise in futility. Running around trying to find someone to explain why it’s all happening is not much use either! Psychologists can explain our human nature. Sociologists can point out cultural choices. But, knowing why we sin is not as important as turning from it! “Even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.” Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity." (Joel 2:12-13, NIV)

A superficial repentance that effects only the external parts of life is insufficient. "Don’t tear your clothing in your grief, but tear your hearts instead.” (NLT) If we allow the Spirit to come close to us, if we will fast from our feast on diversions, if we will press in to worship; our hearts will feel His grief over sin – in ourselves, in this world around us. We will become torn up over sin!

Joel’s message is not all gloom. "Then the Lord will pity his people and jealously guard the honor of his land. The Lord will reply, “Look! I am sending you grain and new wine and olive oil, enough to satisfy your needs. You will no longer be an object of mockery among the surrounding nations." (Joel 2:18-19, NLT) "Rejoice, you people of Jerusalem! Rejoice in the Lord your God! For the rain he sends demonstrates his faithfulness. Once more the autumn rains will come, as well as the rains of spring." (Joel 2:23, NLT)

Do you long for His presence where there is lasting joy and life to the full? Take this word from the Word as your own this day. Know that the fulfillment of God’s promise may not always lead you to pleasant paths and days of sunshine, for in His severe mercy, He will call us to His heart. "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:11-13, NIV)

__________________

Let me be a man
With a perfect heart,
Let me be a son
Who will please You, Father;
Let me be a child
Who reveals Your will
In all I do and say.
Fill me with Your Spirit,
Lord, I pray, that Jesus
Will be seen in all of my life;
Let me be a son
Who will please You, Father,
Let me be a man
With a perfect heart.


A Man With A Perfect Heart
Hayford, Jack
© 1995 Annamarie Music (Maranatha! Music [Admin. by The Copyright Company])

CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: