Wednesday, October 13, 2010

RESCUE!

My newspaper carried a huge headline today: Rescue! The word is all over the media and for good reason. 33 men, trapped deep inside the earth in a Chilean mine for 69 days, were finally being lifted to the surface through a specially drilled tunnel that pierced the earth for more than a half mile. In all the bleak news, this story is cause for joy. Men that most had given up for dead were found after 17 days alive in a chamber off of the collapsed mine. From that moment, huge amounts of money and effort went into creating a way to bring them home.

“I once was lost, but now I’m found” wrote John Newton, who himself was rescued from a dark place, far from God! Let me remind you of the fact that all of us needed rescue. We were trapped, by sin, our doom certain, without hope. “But God,” the Scripture says, "is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God’s grace that you have been saved!)" (Ephesians 2:4-5, NLT) At great expense to Himself, Jesus Christ came to us and made the Way for us to be restored to life, set on the road that leads Home!

Have you forgotten? Do you remember, each day, to thank the Lord for eternal life, for hope, for the sustaining power of His Spirit? Those Chilean miners will never forget the 12th of October, when they were in essence ‘raised from the dead.’ They have no illusions about their hopeless condition, that they could not save themselves. Let’s not give any space in our minds to the delusions of self-help, either. We could not and cannot save ourselves. “It is only by God’s grace that you have been saved.” We ought to shout it loud and say it often. “I once was lost, but now I’m found!”

Here is a song of praise for the rescued. Read it and give thanks. If you are still in need of rescue, pray earnestly and receive His promise of salvation!

"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.

He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire;

he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.

He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.

Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.

Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust,

who does not look to the proud,

to those who turn aside to false gods." (Psalm 40:1-4, NIV)

_____________


You are beautiful beyond description,
Too marvelous for words,
Too wonderful for comprehension,
Like nothing ever seen or heard.
Who can grasp Your infinite wisdom,
Who can fathom the depth of Your love?
You are beautiful beyond description,
Majesty enthroned above.

And I stand, I stand in awe of You.
I stand, I stand in awe of You.
Holy God, to whom all praise is due,
I stand in awe of You.

I Stand In Awe
Altrogge, Mark

PDI Ministries © 1987 People Of Destiny International (Admin. by PDI Ministries)

CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: