Friday, August 27, 2010

Whatever You want!

“Whatever you ask of me, I will do it!” I would not offer that kind of unconditional surrender to just anyone. I enjoy my freedom to make choices, to do the things I want to do. But, when it comes to my Lord, the only way to enjoy His Presence and promises is to give up any claims to myself, to become 100% His. When and where I have tried to hang onto my autonomy, I become restless, miserable, in the phrase of an old country song, “torn between two lovers!” It’s a faith decision of a man who lives under the authority of Another.

Once Jesus met a Roman soldier whose faith astonished the Lord! What was so surprising to Jesus? Take a look.
"He entered Capernaum. A Roman captain there had a servant who was on his deathbed. He prized him highly and didn't want to lose him. When he heard Jesus was back, he sent leaders from the Jewish community asking him to come and heal his servant. They came to Jesus and urged him to do it, saying, "He deserves this. He loves our people. He even built our meeting place." Jesus went with them.

When he was still quite far from the house, the captain sent friends to tell him, "Master, you don't have to go to all this trouble. I'm not that good a person, you know. I'd be embarrassed for you to come to my house, even embarrassed to come to you in person. Just give the order and my servant will get well. I'm a man under orders; I also give orders. I tell one soldier, `Go,' and he goes; another, `Come,' and he comes; my slave, `Do this,' and he does it."

Taken aback, Jesus addressed the accompanying crowd: "I've yet to come across this kind of simple trust anywhere in Israel, the very people who are supposed to know about God and how he works." When the messengers got back home, they found the servant up and well.” - The Message

This military officer understood the importance of being submitted to authority. Whatever was demanded of him by the government of Rome was what he must do. He understood that order and authority to be the way that the Kingdom of Heaven operated as well, an understanding that gave him great faith. He expected that Jesus could just speak the order and that the healing he requested for his servant would happen. Might it be that one of the reasons we do not experience the provision of the Lord at the level we seek is our failure to live under authority? Is our 'whatever' spoken to the Lord from a half-committed heart, a kind of resignation; or is it an embrace of His Will, a delight in what HE has purposed for us?

I find a total 'whatever you want, Lord' a difficult attitude to consistently maintain. Part of me wants to live life on my own terms. I want to enjoy the benefit of being cared for by God but retain the right to set my own course in life. It's not that I want to go out and sin flagrantly! No, self-will is much more subtle in me. I want to choose the time and place of my service. I want God to make me happy and to satisfy my needs. Then I remember, "I am a man under orders."

The wonderful fact of finding a place of submission is the peaceful relief that surrender releases into my heart. The Holy Spirit seldom changes the circumstances in which I find myself. Instead, He creates contentment and peace in me. From that contentment flows a genuine, "whatever, Lord, whatever You want for me."

Do you feel like an orphan cut off from resources, alone in your struggle?
Consider the state of your heart before God. It just might be that you are not 'under orders.' It may be that you have removed yourself from the flow of the Spirit with a rebel's state of mind that is covered over with a casual, but heartless, 'whatever.' Bow your head, bend your knee, and let your will be broken. And... experience the power found by a person who knows what it is to be 'under authority.'

_________

I will offer up my life in spirit and truth,
Pouring out the oil of love, as my worship to You.
In surrender I must give my ev'ry part;
Lord, receive the sacrifice of a broken heart.

Jesus, what can I give, What can I bring
To so faithful a friend, To so loving a King?
Savior, what can be said, What can be sung,
As a praise of Your name for the things You have done?
Oh, my words could not tell, Not even in part,
Of the debt of love that is owed by this thankful heart.

You deserve my every breath
for You've paid the great cost.
Giving up Your life to death,
Even death on a cross.
You took all my shame away,
There defeated my sin,
Opened up the gates of heaven,
And have beckoned me in.

I Will Offer Up My Life -- Redman, Matt
© 1994 Kingsway's Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)

CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: