Friday, May 07, 2010

The End is Near?

“End Times” speculation is not a favorite subject with me. I am not much into apocalyptic literature. But recent events have made me think anew about the promise of the return of the Lord! The world’s economic system is so fragile, yet interconnected, that an economic hiccup in Greece triggered a 1000 point drop on the DOW yesterday. A collapse of the system could trigger terrible and bloody social unrest across Europe and perhaps even here in the US. The ancient enmities of the Middle East show no sign of abating despite the efforts of every American President in my adult lifetime! Oil is spilling into the Gulf, with a solution perplexing the best engineers. Earthquakes have shook the globe repeatedly.

Are any of these things completely new or unique? Not at all. But they should be a reminder to all that we are not gods and they do remind me of the Lord’s promise that all of human history is subject to His reign, that He will someday close the book, declare that this era is over, and bring all things into judgment! The ancient prophets called it ‘the day of the LORD.

"See, the day of the Lord is coming —a cruel day, with wrath and fierce anger— to make the land desolate and destroy the sinners within it. … I will punish the world for its evil, the wicked for their sins. I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty and will humble the pride of the ruthless." (Isaiah 13:11, NIV)

Does all this make you fearful? It need not do so, disciple; if your hope is secured by, as it should be, the precious promises of our Lord Jesus Christ! He reminds us that a world in turmoil is reason for us to look up with anticipation! “And there will be strange signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. People will be terrified at what they see coming upon the earth, for the powers in the heavens will be shaken. Then everyone will see the Son of Man coming on a cloud with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand and look up, for your salvation is near!” (Luke 21:25-28, NLT) I do not even pretend to understand all that He meant! I’m no prophet, nor do I even think that we should try to apply each and every word to the headlines in the newspaper. But, I understand clearly the overarching story of human history that He sums up.

God reminds us that when we humans get too arrogant, He is still LORD. When we start to think that life will go on forever, He says that we are mortal and that history has boundaries He has defined. The declaration of judgment for all is not a terror to me. It gives me even more reason to serve Him, not from fear, but because I know my efforts for His Kingdom will be vindicated in that Day. Perhaps all the current shaking and rattling in the world will settle and a decade from now, peace and prosperity will have found us again. Or it may be that God is writing the epilogue of the Earth, soon to be published. That I cannot say. But, I can say, that “I know Who holds tomorrow and I know He holds my hand!”


I leave Jesus’ words with you. Own them for yourself and find peace.
“Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End. “Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city." (Revelation 22:12-14, NIV)
"The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life." (Revelation 22:17, NIV)

___________________

A parade began at Calvary,
And the saints of all the ages fill its ranks.
O'er the sands of time they're marching
To their King's great coronation.
And this could be the dawning of that day.

Nothing here holds their allegiance,
They're not bound by shackles forged of earthly gold.
Since that day they knelt at Calvary,
They've been pilgrims ever wandering
Just looking for a place to rest their souls.

O this could be the dawning
Of that grand and glorious day,
When the face of Jesus we behold.
Dreams and hopes of all the ages,
Are awaiting His returning.
And this could be the dawning of that day.

This Could Be The Dawning
Gaither, William J. / Gaither, Gloria
© 1971 William J. Gaither, Inc. ARR UBP of Gaither Copyright Management

CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: