Tuesday, March 09, 2010

The "right" answers?

While he installed my new garage door, Greg asked me questions about my faith. He obviously had past exposure to Christian teaching based on the way he formed his questions. "Do you believe in 'once saved, always saved'?" An interesting way to inquire about the security of the Christian's salvation, isn't it? What about 'name it and claim it'?" he asked. I knew he was asking about my view of the prosperity teachings. I like to talk about faith and how I understand the Scripture. But the way Greg asked the questions, it seemed to me that he was looking for a certain set of 'right' answers, giving me a test. We had a good time, and I think we ended up on the same page!


As I thought more about our conversation, I thought about the way we sometimes ask the Lord our questions about life. Do we put Him to the test, not just seeking an answer, but pressing for the 'right' answers? Which do we desire more; to know and understand Him or to see if He will give us what we want, if He can pass our test? Do we understand the importance of humility? James reminds us that "God opposes the proud but favors the humble. ... Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor." (James 4:10, NLT)

Humility is not an easy thing to grasp. Some think that being humble means losing any sense of self-worth and/or dignity. Others believe that creating beauty or pursuing excellence is not compatible with real humility. Truthfully, humility is about having an honest understanding of one's self, keeping pride in check, and adopting an unassuming attitude.

A king can be humble! Jesus proved that! He never thought of Himself as worthless, as unworthy of love. At the same time, He never was too good to speak to anyone, too self-important to care for those of low position. When the Father asked the ultimate sacrifice, Jesus chose the path of humility, setting His own will aside to be obedient. His humility is revealed in His willingness.

Let's invite the Spirit to search our heart attitudes today. Shall we invite Him to put us to the test? Pray with David, "Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me; Cross-examine and test me, get a clear picture of what I'm about; See for yourself whether I've done anything wrong- then guide me on the road to eternal life." (Psalm 139:23-24, The Message) From this prayer, may true humility find a place in our lives that allows us to know, to accept, and to live in the sweet will of our Father.

Here are several passages from the book of Wisdom! May they inform us today.
"The fear of the Lord teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor." (Proverbs 15:33, NIV)
"Humility and the fear of the Lord bring wealth and honor and life." (Proverbs 22:4, NIV)
"Pride ends in humiliation, while humility brings honor." (Proverbs 29:23, NLT)
_________________
All to Jesus I surrender,
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.

All to Jesus I surrender,
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken,
Take me Jesus take me now.

All to Jesus I surrender,
Make me Savior wholly Thine;
Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.

All to Jesus I surrender,
Now I feel the sacred flame.
Oh the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory to His name!

I surrender all,
I surrender all.
All to Thee my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

I Surrender All
Van De Venter, Judson / Weeden, Winfield S.
© Public Domain

No comments: