Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Know-it-all!

24 years ago, when personal computers were still uncommon, I bought one. Tech support and standards were non-existent so owning one was an adventure. I decided to upgrade my computer, confident in my knowledge. My exploration inside the box ended with a inoperable machine! Someone who knew more than I did, told me that I had created something called an IRQ conflict by failing to properly set some jumper switches on the card I was installing. Basically, I had two pieces of hardware using the same electronic address, which led to my PC freezing up. In that moment I realized I didn’t know as much as I thought I knew. My proficiency has grown since then as I am capable of learning!

God is a true Know-it-all, in very best sense!
Nothing surprises Him. No situation baffles Him. What a glorious assurance. Pondering this, my response is akin to that of David who sang, "O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I’m far away. You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do. You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord. You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!" (Psalm 139:1-6, NLT)

The Scripture tells us that even as He knows what is happening, He promises to help us while events are unfolding. The LORD is capable - amazingly so - of taking the circumstances of life and bringing them into line with His purposes. Doesn’t it make sense to trust Him, even as we work with Him, to see His plans brought to completion? Paul says, "...the Holy Spirit helps us in our distress. For we don't even know what we should pray for, nor how we should pray. ... we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." (Romans 8:26-28, NLT) Yes, that, too, is ‘too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!’

God’s omniscience (knowing all) does not relieve you and me of our responsibility to intentionally live within His will. He has invested the gift of us in us. So, James urges us to make this choice: "Look here, you people who say, "Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit." How do you know what will happen tomorrow? For your life is like the morning fog-it's here a little while, then it's gone. What you ought to say is, "If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that." Otherwise you will be boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil. Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it." (James 4:13-17, NLT)

When we make our own plans without prayer, without seeking the Lord's guidance, we may fall into the sin of living outside of the will of God, something He knew in advance we would do, and still allows us to do it! Yes, that, too, is ‘too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!’

Are you wondering what the next step should be?
Has your life froze up after you tinkered with things, messing them up?
Don’t despair! Ask the best Know-it-all for guidance.
"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5, NIV)

Here’s a word from the Word. I pray that as you think it over that the truth will bring you great assurance today. “I am the Alpha and the Omega— (The A to Z!) the beginning and the end,” says the Lord God. “I am the one who is, who always was, and who is still to come—the Almighty One.” (Revelation 1:8, NLT)

____________________

Spirit of GodDescend upon my heart,
wean it from earth,
through all its pulses move.
Stoop to my weakness mighty as Thou art,
and make me love Thee
as I ought to love.

Hast Thou not bid us
love Thee, God and King?
All, all Thine own --
soul, heart, and strength and mind.
I see Thy cross –
there teach my heart to cling,
O let me seek Thee
and O let me find.

Teach me to feel that
Thou art always nigh,
Teach me the struggles
of the soul to bear ---
To check the rising doubt,
the rebel sigh:
Teach me the patience
of unanswered prayer.


Spirit of God, Descend Upon My Heart
George Croly
Copyright: Public Domain

No comments: