Monday, August 31, 2009

Old Faithful

At Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming there is a geyser where about once an hour, boiling water shoots to a height of 100’ from a vent in the earth. A combination of a regular water source and the heat from the magma below the surface create the show! What makes this particular geyser notable is not the height of the spout of water and steam, but the predictability, hence the name – “Old Faithful.”

My God is a faithful God! No, He does not always do what I want Him to do, nor does He act on the timetable I create for him! If those things were the measure of His faithfulness I would have to say He is not. However, a lifetime of serving Him causes me say, “He is faithful and true!” His purposes are accomplished, His promises are kept, just not always as I would wish.

When I was a very young and headstrong man, I led my little family on an adventure to a city far from our home and family, certain of my plans and God’s blessing. For a year, my plans were frustrated, my dreams unfulfilled. But, God’s faithfulness enveloped our lives and He used that year to transform my understanding of His grace. A decade after that adventure, I found myself once again living with dreams that were unfulfilled, seemingly without hope or a future; so I thought. Now, 21 years later, when I recall that awful year, I see God was faithful to take my failures and turn them into an opportunity to lead me to greater spiritual maturity and deeper character. While I lost the markers of success in life, my faithful Lord was preserving my family, my heart, my life in Him.

The Word says, "He will keep you strong to the end so that you will be free from all blame on the day when our Lord Jesus Christ returns. God will do this, for He is faithful to do what he says, and he has invited you into partnership with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord." (1 Corinthians 1:8-9, NLT) Believe it! No experience is beyond His faithfulness. To see His faithful realized in our daily lives, we must ‘walk by faith.’ We must be willing to let Him lead. Should we fail (And we will!) we must turn again to Him, humbling acknowledging our sins, and wait for His purposes to emerge. (And they will!)

The Psalmist sang-
"Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
They are brought to their knees and fall,
but we rise up and stand firm."
(Psalm 20:4-8, NIV)

Will you trust Him today?
Will you go, steady on, faithfully?
You can trust Him for even "If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself." (2 Timothy 2:13, NKJV)
____________

As I look back on the road I've traveled,
I see so many times He carried me through.
If there's one thing
That I've learned in this life,
My Redeemer is faithful and true,
My Redeemer is faithful and true.

My heart rejoices When I read the promise,
"There is a place I am preparing for you."
If there's one thing
That I've learned in this life,
My Redeemer is faithful and true,
My Redeemer is faithful and true.

My Redeemer is faithful and true.
Everything He has said He will do.
And every morning His mercies are new.
My Redeemer is faithful and true.
My Redeemer is faithful and true,
My Redeemer is faithful and true.

My Redeemer Is Faithful And True

Chapman, Steven Curtis / Elliott, James Isaac© 1986 Sparrow Song (a div. of EMI Christian Music Publishing) / Birdwing Music (a div. of EMI Christian Music Publishing) / Careers-BMG Music Publishing, Inc. / Greg Nelson Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: