Thursday, June 04, 2009

Rahm Emanuel’s Challenge

NBC profiled the Obama White House in a special program that aired this week. In an interview with Rahm Emanuel, the chief of staff, Brian Williams took note of the high personal cost that the 49 year old man is paying to be a part of Obama’s administration. Politics aside, one has to be challenged by the dedication to 7 day work weeks and 18 hour days. Emanuel, a four term Congressman whose dream was to become the first Jewish Speaker of the House, gave it up to serve this President. He lives apart from his wife and three children, seeing them only a few times each month. The story of sacrifice was repeated by numerous staffers. These men and women do it for a political cause, for ambition; perhaps for a man.

Disciple, we are called into the service of the Lord of Glory, whose ‘administration’ will never end. When we advance His Kingdom, we not only change the way people live for a few years; we are privileged to change hearts and reconcile people to their Father, bringing them to life eternal! It is a noble cause and it will require sacrifice. "Then Jesus said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed?" (Luke 9:23-25, NLT)

Have you put parts of your life off limits before the Lord? Does He own all of you? Those are tough questions that we must answer daily. We receive the life of the Spirit once when we are converted, born anew as children of God. Remaining in His service is an ongoing process, requiring choices along the way. Jesus speaks to this when He says, “No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62, KJV) In case that metaphor is hard for you, here’s the line in The Message: “No procrastination. No backward looks. You can’t put God’s kingdom off till tomorrow. Seize the day.”

Is He able to ask you to forgive when you prefer to hate?
Will you let Him call your kids into His fulltime service knowing that it will mean less comfort, less ‘success?’
Will you put aside personal desires to say ‘Yes,’ to holiness of heart and mind?
Are your weekends His or yours?

Being a disciple of Jesus Christ is not for wimps! Church-ianity, the preferred religion of many, allows a person to choose the hours of his ‘service,’ to give only as much of himself as he chooses to give, to volunteer and feel good about it. Christianity is an all or nothing Call to the service of a King.

Watching Rahm Emanuel explain his dedication to making the vision of President Obama a reality, I was challenged anew to give myself to my Lord and King. Here’s a word from the Word. Though familiar, I urge you to read it carefully and then take a few moments to re-dedicate ALL to Him.

"Endure suffering along with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. Soldiers don’t get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them. And athletes cannot win the prize unless they follow the rules. And hardworking farmers should be the first to enjoy the fruit of their labor. Think about what I am saying. The Lord will help you understand all these things.
Always remember that Jesus Christ, a descendant of King David, was raised from the dead. This is the Good News I preach. And because I preach this Good News, I am suffering and have been chained like a criminal. But the word of God cannot be chained.
So I am willing to endure anything if it will bring salvation and eternal glory in Christ Jesus to those God has chosen."
(2 Timothy 2:3-10, NLT)
__________________

You are my life,
O precious Christ.
You are to me
The pearl of greatest price.
My love for You will never die.
Jesus, You are my life.

O Holy Fire,
Love's Purest Light.
Burn all desires 'til
You are my one delight.
My love for You will never die
Jesus, You are my life.

O conquering King,
Conquer my heart
And make of me a pleasing gift to God
My love for You will never die
Jesus, You are my life.

I come to You.
I run to You.
There's no greater joy
Than knowing You.

Jesus You Are My Life
Fry, Steve© 1994 Maranatha Praise, Inc. / Word Music, Inc. (a div. of Word Music Group, Inc.)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: