Thursday, March 05, 2009

The Pharisee in me

I must deal with spiritual pride, not all the time, but occasionally it creeps up on me! If I look at the choices made for good, the acts of self-denial, the discipline of living a moral life – Ego sees to it that the temptation to congratulate myself arises. Yes, friend, I hate that Pharisee that lives in me, the guy who finds himself thinking, “Oh, God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, crooks, adulterers, or, heaven forbid, like this tax man. I fast twice a week and tithe on all my income.” (Luke 18:11-12, The Message) I know exactly when that impulse finds a place in my heart: when I take my focus from Christ and His cross as my righteousness! When it is allowed to rise, the corruption of pride is a stench that overwhelms the fragrance of Jesus Christ in my life. His beauty is obscured by an ugly religious spirit.

Pride is a temptation that visits all those who seek to live a holy life. It is rather like the man who humbles himself and then takes note of his humility; losing it in that moment. We cannot defeat this kind of pride with self-abnegation. “Don’t look at me,” can really mean, “Please take note of me, but don’t say anything to me. Just quietly admire all my spiritual accomplishments!” There is but one way to put Self and pride to death – deep, heart-felt worship of the One who saves us. So-called ‘worm theology’ won’t do it. That phrase is borrowed from the Isaac Watts hymn, “At the Cross,” that includes this line, “would He devote that Sacred Head, for such a worm as I?” It is possible to be a very proud worm!

We must kneel (literally, I believe, for that posture is a way to pray with our body) and confess that Jesus is Lord, Master, and Savior. Contemplating His majesty, waiting silently before Him, giving thanks from a worshipful heart brings us to the realization that His grace is amazing. Such contemplative prayer often leads me to tears that are a reflection of the gratitude in my heart. And, too, we must meditate on the truth of the Scripture to bring to light the deception of ego. Pride cannot live under the brilliant light of a Word like this: "it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." (Ephesians 2:8-10, NIV) That passage speaks to the intrinsic worth that God gives to me, a wonderful fact that must never be forgotten. And it also reminds me that I can take no pride in who I am, or what I do, an equally important fact.

Some mistakenly think that the way to defeat pride is to sin with abandon. How foolish, but it is an ancient response to grace. Paul addressed it in his letter to the Romans. "So what do we do? Keep on sinning so God can keep on forgiving? … Each of us is raised into a light-filled world by our Father so that we can see where we’re going in our new grace-sovereign country. Could it be any clearer? Our old way of life was nailed to the cross with Christ, a decisive end to that sin-miserable life—no longer at sin’s every beck and call!" (Romans 6:1, 5-6, The Message)

Disciple, are you gazing at yourself, admiring your goodness? Is the Pharisee in thee alive and well? Go to Jesus! Begin to worship, anew, at His Cross. Pride stinks, grace is sweetly fragrant. May grace fill your heart, your words, your life – today.
_________

That God should love a sinner such as I,
Should yearn to change my sorrow into bliss,
Nor rest till He had planned to bring me nigh,
How wonderful is love like this!

That Christ should join so freely in the scheme,
Although it meant His death on Calvary.
Did ever human tongue find nobler theme
Than love divine that ransomed me?

And now He takes me to His heart, a son;
He asks me not to fill a servant's place.
The "far off country" wand'rings all are done;
Wide open are His arms of grace.

Such love, such wondrous love!
Such love, such wondrous love!
That God should love a sinner such as I,
How wonderful is love like this!

Such Love
Bishop, C. / Harkness, Robert© 1929. Renewed 1957 Lillenas Publishing Company (Admin. by The Copyright Company)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: