Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Life in the Throne Room

Seconds after the words left my mouth, I sensed the Holy Spirit’s correction. “Jerry, you did not honor Me; you were polishing your own pride!” The thought stung, hurt even. The overarching goal of my life is to honor my Lord – in thought, in word, in action. There is only one way that happens. I must live before the Throne of God. When I stay in that place, His Presence captivates me, holds my attention, so that other things do not intrude. When my eyes are on His Majesty; temptation’s attraction lessens, fears lose their grip on me, I am drawn to holiness.

Let me illustrate using a scene from a recent mini-series, John Adams. Mr. Adams is sent by the Continental Congress to be the ambassador to England. Raised in New England with egalitarian ideals and a disdain for pomp and titles, Mr. Adams had to be schooled in the protocols required at an audience with the King of England, then one of the world’s most powerful men. Adams mocks the ceremonial bows, resisting what he felt was a foolish nod to a mere man. He is told that he must have appropriate clothing prepared, not the simply waistcoat that he wore everywhere else. This, too, was resisted by the American. But, days later, when he was shown to the door of the throne room, the powerful authority of the role held by the man hit him. He was left nearly speechless. When entering the throne room, he could not address the King, nor could he approach the throne until he was invited to do so. When the meeting was over, he could not turn and walk away. Instead, he backed away, facing the king until the door opened behind him.

Dear disciple, we make a serious error when we diminish our God, stealing His majesty! Yes, He loves us and invites us to His Throne Room, but not casually. We come, by invitation, and clothed in the righteousness of Christ. Without that, we must die! But, when we are properly clothed and the door to His Presence opens, we are captivated by His power, His love, and His glory! When I live before the throne, His goodness fills up my life. This is why a disciple who would be holy, who would know the true love of God, must be a constant worshipper. In acts of worship, in regular devotion – we consciously stand in the Presence.

Proverbs warns that the "fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe." (Proverbs 29:25, NIV) In other words, if my desire is to please others and/or gain their approval, I will be tripped up by sin.

Take these amazing encouragements as your challenge and your guide.
"We keep our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people; then you won’t become weary and give up." (Hebrews 12:2-3, NLT)
"We come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to countless thousands of angels in a joyful gathering. You have come to the assembly of God’s firstborn children, whose names are written in heaven.
You have come to God himself, who is the judge over all things. You have come to the spirits of the righteous ones in heaven who have now been made perfect. You have come to Jesus, the one who mediates the new covenant between God and people, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks of forgiveness instead of crying out for vengeance like the blood of Abel. Be careful that you do not refuse to listen to the One who is speaking. For if the people of Israel did not escape when they refused to listen to Moses, the earthly messenger, we will certainly not escape if we reject the One who speaks to us from heaven!" (Hebrews 12:22-25, NLT)
_______________

Worship along with the singers on this You-Tube presentation.
Click on this link.– Before the Throne

Before the throne of God above,
I have a strong, a perfect plea,
A great High Priest whose name is Love,
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in heaven He stands,
No tongue can bid me thence depart,
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair,
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there,
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died,
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the Just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me,
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the Risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I Am,
The King of glory and of grace,
One with Himself I cannot die.
My soul is purchased by His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God,
With Christ my Savior and my God.

One with Himself I cannot die.
My soul is purchased by His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high
With Christ my Savior and my God,
With Christ my Savior and my God.

Before The Throne Of God Above
Cook, Vikki / Bancroft, Charitie Lees
© 1997 PDI Worship (Admin. by The Copyright Company)
CCLI License No. 810055

______________________

No comments: