Friday, December 12, 2008

A Friend of God

There are people I love that are not my friends. If they need anything I can provide, I will do my best for them. If they are in a difficult place, I will offer my help. But, for various reasons, they are not people that I want to be around socially. We don't have that chemistry that makes us want to 'hang out' together. There are other people who are my associates that are not my friends. We are connected in some functional way but not personally. Many disciples know that God loves them. They are connected to Him functionally, serving His purposes in some in this world, but they struggle to believe that they are a friend of God!

Is it hard to think of yourself as God's friend?

God, the Holy Spirit, wants to 'hang out' with you! He likes your company, delights in your quirkiness, celebrates your successes, shares your sorrows. If you think I'm far out on this, then ponder Jesus' words to us. "There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me. You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name." (John 15:13-16, NLT) Among the meanings of the word used in the original text which is translated, 'friend,' is one describing those included in the groom's wedding party! In Jesus' time, a man getting married selected those closest to him and they celebrated his marriage with him for days, helped him set up his home, and announced his new status to the town in which they lived. Jesus selected you and me to be close to Him, to celebrate His love for the Church, and to announce His coming kingdom to our world! Yes, He calls us friends.

He makes this wonderful promise to those He has called: "Be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid and do not panic before them. For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you." (Deuteronomy 31:6, NLT)

Befriend God! Invite the Spirit to make Himself known in your daily life. Make time to pray, not just petitions, but silently being with Him, enjoying His presence and allowing Him to enjoy yours! He does! He does! Yes, He does! God not only acts benevolently towards you in love, He desires to know you as a friend. If we think of Him as a friend, 'closer than a brother,' we will live much more confidently in this world. After all, the Bible says, "With God on our side like this, how can we lose?" (Romans 8:31, The Message)
__________________

A friend of Jesus! Oh, what bliss
That one so weak as I
Should ever have a Friend like this
To lead me to the sky!

Friendship with Jesus!
Fellowship divine!
Oh, what blessed, sweet communion!
Jesus is a Friend of mine.

A Friend when other friendships cease,
A Friend when others fail,
A Friend who gives me joy and peace,
A Friend when foes assail!

A Friend when sickness lays me low,
A Friend when death draws near,
A Friend as through the vale I go,
A Friend to help and cheer!

A Friend when life’s short race is o’er
A Friend when earth is past,
A Friend to meet on Heaven’s shore,
A Friend when home at last!

Friendship with Jesus!
Fellowship divine!
Oh, what blessed, sweet communion!
Jesus is a Friend of mine.

Joseph Ludgate
Public Domain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a sweet friendship indeed.