Monday, December 08, 2008

Baked or Microwaved?

We live in a world of 'instant.' We all like microwave ovens for their speed, but not so much for what they produce. I cannot think of a meal made in a microwave that has the same quality as one that is cooked conventionally. The speed sacrifices quality, and yet, the supermarket has shelves full of meals that can be prepared in a few minutes time. We're prepared to let down our standards just to 'get it done' quickly.

Long meetings, where the discussion goes 'round and 'round without progress make me crazy. I like action, answers, and solutions now! But, this need for speed is not a good thing. Sometimes my desire to get things going, causes unnecessary stress in my life and, worse, causes me run ahead of God. That's why VISION is both an important and difficult subject for me. Vision requires time and patience! It is conceived by the Spirit, grows in the womb of our hearts, is born helpless and in need of care, and matures slowly. A worthy vision often stretches out over years from that moment when God inseminates our mind to the time when the end result can be enjoyed. Living as we do in a world where fast is always preferred, it is no wonder so few spiritual visions make it to maturity. They die when we deliver them prematurely or try to make them work when they are still in infancy.

In the Old Testament there is a little book of great meaning that came to from a man named Habakkuk. About 700 years before the time of Christ, he could see that disaster was about to befall the people of God. In his prayers, he heard God say that He would use the wicked Assyrian nation to bring judgment on Israel. The very thought offended Habakkuk. But God also promised that He would restore the people if they turned back to Him, though they would go through some terrible times before they saw His mercy. When the prophet cried out to God, the Lord's response was to call to patience. "The Lord said to me, "Write my answer plainly on tablets, so that a runner can carry the correct message to others. This vision is for a future time. It describes the end, and it will be fulfilled. If it seems slow in coming, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed." (Habakkuk 2:2-3, NLT)

God's desire for our lives is to make deeply spiritual, authentic disciples of Jesus Christ. He wants to transform us from selfish sinners into the likeness of Jesus Christ. There are no microwaved saints! God is at work but He cares nothing for my timetable or yours! Peter reminds us that to Him "a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like a day!"

Remember Abraham? God spoke a vision into his life about blessing the whole world through his descendants and as he approached 75 years of age, he didn't even have a son! When he knew his wife was well past child-bearing, his patience failed. That's easy to understand, isn't it? I probably would have concluded that I had not heard the Lord's word properly long before that! Abraham decided to `help' God with the vision. He took his wife's handmaiden, Hagar, as a surrogate mother (an acceptable practice in those times) and fathered a son by her. His failure to `wait patiently' created great heartache further down life's road. The lesson is simple on paper, but much more difficult while we're WAITING!

Have you clarified the vision the Lord has for your life? Ask these kinds of questions prayerfully and listen.

What kind of parent does God want you to be?
What kind of spouse does He want you to be?
What mission has He assigned to you in your church, your place of work?
What spiritual gifts does He offer to you to bless His church?

Are you moving forward in pursuit of His vision and purpose? Some Believers claim they are being `patient' when, in fact, they're paralyzed by fear or slowed by apathy. "Wait patiently… travel steadily!" Joy will be yours when the vision matures and you see that about which you have dreamed and planned.

Are you walking with Him, running ahead of Him, or lagging behind? The call of the Word is this: "Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." (Galatians 5:25, NIV) ___________________
Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Nought be all else to me, Save that Thou art
Thou my best thought, By day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, And Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee And Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, And I with Thee one.

Riches I heed not, Nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, Now and always:
Thou and Thou only, First in my heart,
High King of heaven, My Treasure Thou art.

High King of heaven, My victory won,
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, Whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

Be Thou My Vision © Public Domain

No comments: