Monday, October 06, 2008

It's So Hard to See . . .

Our emotions are so entwined with our spirituality that sometimes it impossible to separate the two, isn't it? When a person grows depressed, he may conclude God has forsaken him. When great pain brought on by loss or illness presses on a person's heart, she may wrongly conclude that faith has failed her. It can be shocking when a person who has loved God becomes angry with Him and says things like, "I don't even know if I believe that He loves me!" But, those things happen often even to mature disciples who come under great pressure and who are temporarily disoriented by sorrow or fear.

There are several Psalms where we read of godly people under such emotional stress that they lose sight of the face of God in the dark night of their soul! Take a look: "O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever? How long will you look the other way? How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day?" (Psalm 13:1-2, NLT) In another psalm of lament, we read: "O Lord, why do you stand so far away? Why do you hide when I am in trouble?" (Psalm 10:1, NLT) God cannot forget us, nor does He stand far away. But, the emotions from which those thoughts come, are very real. Trying to deny what we feel is unhealthy and can lead us even more deeply into spiritual crisis.

In his song, "Make My Life a Prayer to You," Keith Green penned this memorable line - "Well, I wanna thank You now for being patient with me. Oh it's so hard to see when my eyes are on me!" Remember that. When you're hurting badly, your emotions scream for relief and your vision narrows down to a tight focus on "right here, right now." In those times, pray for trust and the embrace of the grace of the One who knows you better than you know yourself. The time to work on figuring it all out is later. Trying to sort out all the why's and wherefore's will come when the storm of emotions has calmed.

Got a friend whose faith is in crisis because their heart is broken or their world turned upside down? One of the most loving gifts we can offer to a Christian in that kind of faith crisis is our ear and our shoulder! "Let me help you carry your burden," is much preferred than "Let me tell you how wrong you are in your thinking so you can get it right." One of my favorite phrases is- "Be Jesus with skin on." A touch, a hug, a prayer for comfort, saying something like "I'll have faith for you right now while you're hurting so badly," is so much more helpful than a lengthy treatise on the immutability and faithfulness of God.

Giving that person a safe way to share what they feel, letting them give vent to anger, fear, or doubt often has a spiritual benefit in that when they have released pent-up feelings. With the innter pressure released the Spirit reaches their heart and mind with renewed peace. In time, they will re-assert control over their tumbling thoughts to bring them back in line with the truth of the Scripture. (A person in a faith crisis because of willful disobedience in their life needs a wisely worded, courageous rebuke, but that's for another TFTD.)

Here's a word from the Word -
"Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart. But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold. . . .
When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you. Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you.
But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds."
(Psalm 73, NIV)
____________________________

Great is Thy faithfulness,O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not,Thy compassions they fail not;
As Thou hast beenThou forever wilt be.

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided.
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Great Is Thy Faithfulness © 1923.
Renewed 1951 Hope Publishing Company CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: