Monday, October 13, 2008

Habakkuk's Burden

There are three chapters in the Old Testament that give us the words of a man who saw a terrible calamity coming on God's people. Old Habby realized that the Babylonians were growing strong and at the very same time he saw his nation abandoning God, Who was their only strength and defense against that enemy. With terrible sorrow, he knew the end would be awful suffering, death, and destruction. "Why are you allowing this to happen, Lord?" is his cry.

As I read his writing today, the Spirit made these ancient laments a comfort to me. "How long, O LORD, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, “Violence!” but you do not save? . . .the law is paralyzed, and justice never prevails. The wicked hem in the righteous, so that justice is perverted." (Habakkuk 1:4, NIV) Could we not cry this for our land? But God's answer is not what Habby expected! There is no promise of immediate revival. Instead the Lord responds "I am raising up the Babylonians, that ruthless and impetuous people, who sweep across the whole earth to seize dwelling places not their own. ...they all come bent on violence. Their hordes advance like a desert wind and gather prisoners like sand." (Habakkuk 1:9, NIV)

The inevitable conclusion was too much for Old Habby and he ask in terror and wonder,
"God, you’re from eternity, aren’t you? Holy God, we aren’t going to die, are we? God, you chose Babylonians for your judgment work? Rock-Solid God, you gave them the job of discipline? But you can’t be serious! You can’t condone evil! So why don’t you do something about this? Why are you silent now?" (Habakkuk 1:12-13, The Message)

Sometimes we don't get the 'happily ever after' answer from Heaven we want! Sometimes when we ask for relief, God only seems to allow our burden to increase. Sometimes when we cry for spiritual renewal, the onslaught of sin and evil only seems to increase like a tidal surge! What then? There is a choice. We can curse God, doubt that He cares, or even conclude He does not exist. OR, we can be faithful.

Habby settled himself in the Lord and said, "the righteous will live by his faith." (Habakkuk 2:4, NIV) Wait for the purposes of the Lord. God said, "At the time I have decided, my words will come true. You can trust what I say about the future. It may take a long time, but keep on waiting— it will happen! " (Habakkuk 2:3, CEV)

Don't you hate the wait? I do! But, I will wait! Like Habby, I'll declare my faith, even when nothing around me gives support for my faith. Ponder the words that close his vision. May they inspire you to wait on the Lord, steadily and faithfully, until His purpose is fulfilled.

"I heard and my heart pounded, my lips quivered at the sound; decay crept into my bones, and my legs trembled. Yet I will wait patiently for the day of calamity to come on the nation invading us.
Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights."
(Habakkuk 3:16-19, NIV)

No comments: