Monday, September 01, 2008

The Impact of Storms!

Hurricane Gustav is hours from the Louisiana coast and millions of people's lives have changed course as a result of this storm. The city of New Orleans was evacuated, residents fleeing early fearing of another flood like Katrina. All of that destruction and misery is still a vivid memory. The script of the Republican convention in Minnesota, carefully planned for months, was torn up by winds blowing a thousand miles away. Those politicians decided that the pictures of the glitz of a national convention would be unseemly in juxtaposition with scenes from a hurricane's furious winds in one of America's major cities. Even the President of the United States changed his plans when this storm blew in from the Atlantic this week.

Hurricanes are not the only storms that change plans. A storm blew into my Dad's life in January that changed the course of his life, my Mom's life, my life, and lives of so many more. Plans carefully made were rewritten by rogue cells in his body. So, what storms are blowing into your life, dear friend? It's not a matter of 'if,' but rather 'when!' In a famous parable about foundations, Jesus Christ tells us to build a life house that rests solidly on His Words and wisdom. "Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash." (Matthew 7:24-27, NLT) Storms will come at us from time to time that will shake us to the core. "What then," He asks? "Will you come through with your life intact, even though your plans are rewritten?"

There is one thing that allows me to face the storms of life with confidence: God knows the forecast! He is never caught unprepared. He is never reacting to the unexpected. The Psalmist exults in the Omniscience of the Lord saying, "O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I’m far away. You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do. You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord. You go before me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on my head. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!" (Psalm 139:1-6, NLT) He concludes with words of wonder: "You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God." (Psalm 139:16-17, NLT)

Disciple, know this: those who serve the Lord go through storms. Saints are not exempt from hurricanes, cancer, or national recessions! But, we go through them with quiet confidence in the One who knew the storm's approach. So, build your life on the solid foundation of His loving wisdom. Obey Him today.

When the wind blows furiously through your life, you will be secure in the one fact that nothing can change: the enduring love of God and His promise to bring you to His eternal home! Hallelujah!
_______________

" Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!
"Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?"
"Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?"

For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen."

Romans 11:33-36, NIV

No comments: