Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Fools despise discipline.

Our son, Sean, a teacher, called me a week or so ago to say, "Thanks, Dad, for finding the balance between love and fear, for instilling a healthy respect for authority in me when I was a child, and for teaching me about consequences for my actions." His thanks was prompted by his interaction with high school students who think that they are acting in their own best interest by ignoring authority and doing their own thing. When my sons and daughters were in my care, I wanted them to know they were loved and I knew they needed to be disciplined, no matter how much conflict or unhappiness it brought in the short term. We laugh today about one of my favorite parenting lines: "I'm not your best friend; I'm your father."

Which child is a happier person when they reach adulthood? Is it the one who is indulged and pampered who becomes a irresponsible person who thinks the world revolves around their needs, OR the one who is disciplined and knows how to show up for work, form lasting relationships with 'give and take,' and who knows the importance of following the rules? The disciplined one is the happier person for enjoys freedom that only comes to those who know self-control!

Discipline is a means to greater freedom and joy for God's children, too. When we practice spiritual disciplines, we are trained as 'athletes of God' and the well-conditioned soul is able to better respond to God's leading. Discipline gives us freedom from slavery to our appetites, the ability to choose. In the book of Hebrews we learn: "Only irresponsible parents leave children to fend for themselves.Would you prefer an irresponsible God? We respect our own parents for training and not spoiling us, so why not embrace God's training so we can truly live? While we were children, our parents did what seemed best to them.But God is doing what is best for us, training us to live God's holy best. At the time, discipline isn't much fun. It always feels like it's going against the grain. Later, of course, it pays off handsomely, for it's the well-trained who find themselves mature in their relationship with God." -- [12:11-12 The Message]

Those who live a disciplined life are often mocked by those whose lives are in lived in disarray under the guise of 'freedom.' "Why do you put so much emphasis on things like being on-time, keeping orderly records, picking up trash, etc.?" I am sometimes asked. The reason is that I find when the small things are tended and kept in order, the larger issues of life fall into place. For example, some people find filing their income tax a real chore. It takes me less than two hours every year. Why? Because I keep my financial records up to date and properly filed, on a weekly basis. Another example- a long, long time ago I committed myself to paying my bills on time and only spending money I had in hand. Now, because I am not swamped by credit card debt, I have less stress, pay very little interest to banks (other than my mortgage!) and can support the work of God with my tithe!

Do I always enjoy meeting deadlines, putting work over pleasure, mowing my lawn on a hot day, or polishing my shoes? Not any more than anyone else. But, I make those choices because I realize the freedom that discipline produces and I know that larger problems are less likely to develop tomorrow when the right choice is made today. Believers want to know God and to walk with Him in joyful freedom! I cannot recall ever having a discussion with a Christian who said, "Jerry, I just want to do the minimums, live spiritually on the edge, and squeak into Heaven by the razor edge of grace!" Yet, that is exactly where many live.

So how do we enter into the richness of God's glory here and now?

There are no 'magic pills' that will produce instantaneous or effortless spiritual health. There are choices to be made, disciplines to practiced. Start with small choices like:
- turning off the TV an hour earlier and going to bed so you canget up and have time to prayerfully meditate and take in some Scripture before rushing out the door to work;

-planning weekend activities with a high priority commitment tojoining in corporate worship every week;

-dealing with issues of the soul in their infancy rather thantrying to conquer them when they are engrained habits...

small choices that prepare us to receive God's grace in big ways.

One writer puts it this way: "Each of us becomes another Michelangelo, for choice is nothing other than the chisel we use to sculpt our life. The chisel doesn't come free, however, for the price of choice is responsibility. But when we accept and carry out our responsibility, the reward is great. The reward is happiness."

God has provided the means for freedom of choice by giving us salvation from sin, through the gracious gift of His Son, Jesus Christ. Now, let us use that freedom to grow into Christians who live worthy of His investment in us.
_________________

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline." (Proverbs 1:7, NIV)

"If you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don't forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it." (James 1:25, NLT)

No comments: