Monday, September 15, 2008

The Adventure of this Day

Predictable, controlled - that's me! Surprise parties are not my thing. Unexpected guests raise my stress levels. Chaotic situations call a response from me to impose order or if that is not possible, to escape at the earliest opportunity. But the God I serve is not willing to submit Himself to my rules, my expectations, or my controls. Instead, He invites me to live the adventure that is His will. Who can really explain why God does what He does? When I read the story of Joseph and see the twists and turns of what some might call fate I realize that the Bible is very clear in communicating that God was in it all, even using the sins of others to accomplish His plan. He used scheming, jealous brothers to get Joseph from the sheep fields to Egypt. He used a wife looking for an affair to take Joseph from Potiphar's comfortable house to the Pharaoh's palace! Wasn't there another way, a less painful route for Joseph? Apparently not!

I am quite certain that God does not make anyone sin or do evil. The Bible says that "God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone." (James 1:13, NIV) But, the mystery of faith compels me to believe that He is both aware of the evil and where it rises up, He is capable of using it to His purposes. This mystery is at the heart of the story of the Cross of Christ! An ugly method of torture, used by the Romans to impose order through terror on their far-flung empire, became the means that God used to offer up Himself for our sins. Evil men crucified Christ and, as they spilled His blood on the earth, love and life blossomed. Rational? Not really! It is revealed Truth, accepted by faith.

That said, I must emphasize that we are not fatalists, adrift in life, just making the best of a bad situation. The Lord calls us to work to build His kingdom, to defeat sin and evil wherever we find it. At the very same time, He works through suffering to make us more like Jesus. Our best response to life's unpredictability is to choose faith, childlike trust in Him.

Does that seem a daunting challenge? Know this: He does not ask you to muster up such faith on your own. The Spirit is actively helping you, right now, to stand. The Bible teaches us that "the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God’s own will. And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. And having chosen them, he called them to come to him. And having called them, he gave them right standing with himself. And having given them right standing, he gave them his glory." (Romans 8:26-30, NLT)

The following words were scratched into a wall of the Warsaw Ghetto by an unknown Jew during the Second World War. Death was all around. The face of God was obscured by terrible darkness. But, faith was there too. Take a look.
"I believe in the sun, even if it does not shine.
I believe in love even if I do not feel it.
I believe in God, even if I do not see Him."

Ask God this day for faith to walk the adventure that is life, without fear, boldly trusting Him to lead the way. Here's a word from the Word. I pray for this to nourish your soul as you receive it right now.

"The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It’s our handle on what we can’t see.. . . It’s impossible to please God apart from faith. And why? Because anyone who wants to approach God must believe both that he exists and that he cares enough to respond to those who seek him. . . .
By faith, Moses, when grown, refused the privileges of the Egyptian royal house. He chose a hard life with God’s people rather than an opportunistic soft life of sin with the oppressors. He valued suffering in the Messiah’s camp far greater than Egyptian wealth because he was looking ahead, anticipating the payoff.
" (Hebrews 11:1,6,24-26, The Message)
____________________________

Oh, lead me to the place where I can find You.
Oh, lead me to the place where You'll be.
Lead me to the cross where we first met,
Draw me to my knees so we can talk.
Let me feel Your breath,
Let me know You're here with me.

Oh, Lead Me
Martin Smith © 1994 Curious? Music UK (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: