Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Listening to the Lion's Snarl

Daniel's overnight stay with the lions is one of the Bible stories that many find inspiring. I read it and wonder why God allowed this good, old man to endure such a terrible ordeal! The account is recorded in the 6th chapter of Daniel. After a lifetime of distinguished service, Daniel rose to the highest echelons of the empire. He survived several regime changes and consistently proved himself to be man of integrity and skill. Naturally, this provoked jealousy among those who thought they deserved the power he was given by the king, so they plotted his destruction. Here's a wonderful testimony: "The other administrators and high officers began searching for some fault in the way Daniel was handling government affairs, but they couldn’t find anything to criticize or condemn. He was faithful, always responsible, and completely trustworthy." (Daniel 6:4, NLT)

But he was a Jew in a foreign land! "We can use his religion against him," they said. "These Jews just won't add our gods to their list of gods. They have this idea that their God is the only God, so let's get the king to outlaw any form of worship other than emperor worship and we'll have him!" That's a 'wow' moment for me. His faith was so strong, so evident, so central to his life that these pagan officials knew that he would not compromise even with a death sentence pending.

Daniel knew exactly what was happening. He wasn't caught by surprise and here's what he did. "When Daniel learned that the decree had been signed and posted, he continued to pray just as he had always done. His house had windows in the upstairs that opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he knelt there in prayer, thanking and praising his God." (Daniel 6:10, The Message)

And how does God reward his faithfulness? He does not step in and kill the conspirators! He does not transport Daniel to safety in another place. God gives him an exclusive reservation at the Lion's Den Inn, and he spent an entire night listening to the lion's snarl! Yes, eventually Daniel emerges alive, but not until he has gone through yet another difficult situation.

Believer, most of us pray to be kept from our trials and tests and temptations, but as with Daniel; God often accompanies us through them! The Bible is silent about how Daniel spent that night. Was he afraid? Did he cry? Was he confident that he would be delivered? We do not know. The Word simply says: "When Daniel was lifted from the den, no wound was found on him, because he had trusted in his God." (Daniel 6:23, NIV) When did he trust? Not after he was locked in with the lions. His trust was evident when he knelt to prayer in his apartment, knowing full well he was signing his own death warrant.

If the Lord is allowing you to be close enough to the lions to hear their snarls, do not conclude that He has abandoned you. Trust Him! He seldom writes the script of our lives in a way that takes us along broad, level paths. Jesus Christ tells us "You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it." (Matthew 7:13-14, NLT) Thankfully, He also promises this: "And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age." (Matthew 28:20, NLT)
_______________________

Hide Thou Me -- Harris, Thoro / Tolbert, L.R.

Sometimes I feel discouraged, and think my life in vain.
I'm tempted then to murmur, and of my lot complain.
But when I think of Jesus, and all He's done for me,
Then I cry, "O Rock of Ages, hide Thou me."

O Rock of Ages, hide Thou me. no other refuge have I but Thee.
When life's dark vale I wander, far, far from Thee.
Then I cry, "O Rock of Ages, hide Thou me."

Sometimes it seems I dare not, go one step farther on.
And from my heart all courage has slipped away and gone.
But I remember Jesus, and all His love for me.
Then I cry, "O Rock of Ages hide Thou me."

O Rock of Ages, hide Thou me. no other refuge have I but Thee.
When life's dark vale I wander, far, far from Thee.
Then I cry, "O Rock of Ages, hide Thou me."

© 1926. Renewed 1953 Singspiration Music (Admin. by Brentwood-Benson Music Publishing, Inc., 741 Coolsprings Blvd., Franklin TN 37067)=CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: