Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Egyptian Horses

Do you ever find yourself running into some situation that is not in your plans, that resists your efforts at a solution, that is beyond your control? Is your response one of frustration or anger - at life, at God, with yourself. Have you thought - "What did I fail to anticipate? Where did I make a wrong decision? What should I have done? Lord, how did this situation come 'round to me again?" Did you notice the misplaced focus in all of those questions? Such questions come from the assumption that we are in God's place in the universe.

Too many times to count, I have stood in that very place of complaint and anger. In those times my patient Father comes to me and whispers - 'what do you see?' When I see the challenges of life through my own resources and abilities, I see struggle and stress. By His Spirit, a gentle, but persistent Father continues to press the question - "What do you see?" His desire is that I will let faith change my perspective and when it does, I will say, "Lord, I see an opportunity for You to show me again how faithful You are to those who walk humbly with You."

Here’s the amazing result of that shift in perspective. Anger and frustration is replaced with new enthusiasm and expectation. I begin to anticipate what He will do.
Will I like His will? Maybe not, but if I ask Him to show me the way and then let Him lead, I am able to obey His Word that says, 'give thanks in every situation.

Ancient Judah faced a crisis. The Assyrian empire to the north was swallowing up one nation after another, moving ever closer. In Jerusalem, the king’s counselors urged him to turn to the Egyptians in the south and make an alliance. Isaiah, God’s spokesman, counseled a different choice. “Trust God, not Egypt!” His words come to us full of wisdom still today.

“What sorrow awaits my rebellious children,” says the Lord. “You make plans that are contrary to mine. You make alliances not directed by my Spirit, thus piling up your sins."
… This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says: “Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved. In quietness and confidence is your strength. But you would have none of it.
You said, ‘No, we will get our help from Egypt. They will give us swift horses for riding into battle.’ But the only swiftness you are going to see is the swiftness of your enemies chasing you! One of them will chase a thousand of you. Five of them will make all of you flee. You will be left like a lonely flagpole on a hill or a tattered banner on a distant mountaintop.”

So the Lord must wait for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion. For the Lord is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for his help."
(Isaiah 30:1, 15-18, NLT)

Is there something frustrating you today?
Does a situation exist in your life that threatens your peace or security?Present yourself to Him. Wait for His help. Listen intently, obediently, faithfully. And when He asks, ‘what do you see?’ with eyes of faith tell Him that you see yet another opportunity for His faithfulness to shine through.
_______________________

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine,
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine,
Heir of salvation, Purchase of God;
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

This is my story, this is my song;
Praising my Savior, all the day long.

Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior, am happy and blest.
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His Goodness, lost in His love.

This is my story, this is my song;
Praising my Savior, all the day long.

Fanny Crosby – Public Domain

No comments: