Thursday, July 17, 2008

Up to the task?

One of the temptations that I deal with on a regular basis is a sense that I am simply incapable of fulfilling my calling! I feel incompetent. I wonder if my sermons are just more babbling, adding to the excess of words in the world. As I grow older, I stand in awe of the rapid changes in the world around me and question my ability to keep up and stay relevant. When I compare myself to other pastors who are experiencing a different kind of 'success,' I too readily blame myself for not having the necessary skills to see the results they enjoy.

And I know this: those thoughts do not come from God! They are an upside down expression of pride, a focus on me instead of Him! Here is the truth - God called me. He equips me. He expects diligence from me, but ultimately any competence for spiritual work comes from Him.

In the stories of Exodus, there is an account of the building of the tabernacle, the portable place of worship that Israel was commissioned to build during their desert sojourn. Moses issued a call for all those who were 'willing' to give from 'what they had' for the project. The people responded with overwhelming generosity until Moses had to send out word, "Do not bring anymore gifts! We have more than enough to complete this project!"

But there is another part of the story that captivates me. Here it is. "Moses said to the Israelites, "See, the LORD has chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts— to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood and to engage in all kinds of artistic craftsmanship." (Exodus 35:29-33, NIV)

God gave the necessary skill, ability, and knowledge to Bezalel to design and train others to build this place of worship! The lesson for us is clear and compelling. God is still building His Church (not a building this time but a body of people) and the Spirit is actively working to equip each one to fulfill their calling! "God’s various gifts are handed out everywhere; but they all originate in God’s Spirit. God’s various ministries are carried out everywhere; but they all originate in God’s Spirit. God’s various expressions of power are in action everywhere; but God himself is behind it all." (1 Corinthians 12:4-6, The Message)

What can you do in the work of God? What kind of spiritual gift has been invested in you? Serving, speaking, praying, giving, teaching, leading worship, encouraging, building, making art, telling the Gospel ... the list is long and God has promised us that His Spirit will put skills, ability, and knowledge in us that makes us effective.

This is no excuse for failure to prepare through study, with mentors, and by starting with small efforts. The Lord demands diligence of us, but simultaneously requires total dependence on Him! We tend to fall into one extreme or the other: either thinking it's all up to me (and making ourselves more susceptible to feelings of failure) or just sitting back and waiting for God to make puppets of us. Somebody said, "We must work like it all depends on us and pray like it all depends on Him!" There's a lot of wisdom in that.

The Word says, "By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. ... So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Do these things, and you will never fall away. Then God will give you a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." (2 Peter 1:3, 10-11, NLT)

Let's go build the Temple!
And, as we do, let's claim the Bezalel blessing -- 'skill, ability, and knowledge,' to complete the work honorably and for the glory of God.

No comments: