Friday, July 18, 2008

"Oh, for grace to trust Him more!"

Looking back on my life I can see so many places where God was taking care of me, keeping me, guiding me without my understanding at the time. Some of the situations that seemed to be the worst developments, bringing huge disappointment my way when when they were happening, proved to be the greatest blessings later on! He has brought people into my life at the time when I needed them most and He has moved people out of my life before they could do damage. Many of the darkest moments later on yielded great harvests of faith and character development. To be sure, there are experiences in my history that still are mysteries! Some days are stilled wrapped in mists and defy explanations or rationales; so I have to make the conscious choice to simply trust Him and wait.

I can honestly say that some of the most costly decisions in my life were those that I made without counsel or prayer because they seemed 'so obviously right.' There is a story in the history of Israel when godly leaders made a decision without God's leading and it proved to be a terrible detriment to the nation. "The people of Gibeon heard what Joshua had done to Jericho and Ai and cooked up a ruse. They posed as travelers: their donkeys loaded with patched sacks and mended wineskins, threadbare sandals on their feet, tattered clothes on their bodies, nothing but dry crusts and crumbs for food. They came to Joshua at Gilgal and spoke to the men of Israel, "We’ve come from a far-off country; make a covenant with us." ... The men of Israel looked them over and accepted the evidence. But they didn’t ask God about it. So Joshua made peace with them and formalized it with a covenant to guarantee their lives. The leaders of the congregation swore to it." (Joshua 9: 3-6; 14-15, The Message)

The Gibeonites were not conquered and because Israel made an agreement with them, they were allowed to live among God's people, bringing their false gods with them, and ultimately becoming a source of spiritual corruption a generation later!

We are God's children and He wants to care for us, but He also desires our cooperation! He will not make us puppets. So, should we live fearfully, wondering if we're going to make some terrible mistake? Not at all, if our hearts are following fully after Him and our lives are submitted to His will. As I wrote a few lines before, He leads us even when we are unaware of what He's doing or where He's taking us. However, He will let us walk willfully out of His perfect will if we become headstrong or full of ourselves. The Word reminds us, "Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." (Galatians 5:25, NIV) Each new day we prayerfully listen for Heaven's cadence so we will dance gracefully with Him, following His lead.

Remember to remain conversant with the Lord throughout the day. That what the Word means when we read, "Pray continually." (1 Thess. 5.17) Don't live in sinful ways that grieve the Spirit and drive His sweet Presence from your life. Instead, stay in touch - with a humble heart, with simple prayers, with breathed praises - so that God can keep you right where He wants you.

Here's a word from the Word to take with you through this day.
"I will praise the LORD, who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. I have set the LORD always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the grave, nor will you let your Holy One see decay. You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." (Psalm 16:7-11, NIV)

________________________

He leadeth me, O blessed thought!
O words with heavenly comfort fraught!
Whate'er I do, where-e'er I be,
Still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me.

Lord, I would clasp Thy hand in mine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content whatever lot I see,
Since 'tis my God that leadeth me.

And when my task on earth is done,
When by Thy grace the vict'ry's won,
E'en death's cold wave I will not flee,
Since God through Jordan leadeth me.

He leadeth me,
He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

He Leadeth Me
William Bradbury © Public Domain

No comments: