Thursday, June 12, 2008

Moving on!

This evening about a dozen 8th grade students from Good Shepherd Christian Academy (http://www.GSCAcademy.com) will go through graduation ceremonies. Some schools call the ceremony where degrees or diplomas are presented to graduates, commencement, a word that I think is more appropriate to the occasion. Commencement is a word that indicates a new start - 'moving on.' Our young students will move on to high school. Some high school students will move on to college; others into the workplace. College grads, with freshly printed degrees, will look for an entry level job.

Graduation, whatever the level of education, is not so much about completion as it is about starting something new! The differing perspective of graduating students is most interesting. Some are anticipating the next step; others reluctantly yield to the inevitability of leaving familiar settings and friendships.

So, Believer, in this season of commencement are you moving on or are you trying to make the world stand still?

Are you full of vision, eager to work with God to make a difference or are you trying to hang onto some place where the memories are sweet?

The Word challenges us to let go of yesterday - both its successes and failure - as we keep pursuing God's plans. Paul writes of the power of Christ's Resurrection and then urges all Believers to understand the 'now' and 'not yet' perspective in which they live. "I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. ( completeness) But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." (Philippians 3:12-14, NLT)

Every day we need to hold a personal commencement ceremony. We take yesterday's lessons as preparation for today's work, as we look for new possibilities that God is preparing for tomorrow! Only when God draws our earthly life to a close will we truly be able to say, "It is finished." Until then, we are keeping step with the Spirit; and what an adventure life with Him can be.

Ready? Set? Go!

_____________________

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Nought be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven my Treasure Thou art.

High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heaven's Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

Be Thou My Vision
Hull, Eleanor / Byrne, Mary E.
© Public Domain

No comments: