Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Look in the right place!

The passage is familiar, "I will lift my eyes to the hills- where does my help come from?" The Psalmist, whose identity is unknown to us, is reflecting on his search for comfort in time of trouble. As he gazes out on the mountains, for a moment he imagines that some relief might come from some hidden source there. When troubles pile up, we look for relief, too. Many things appear to be an answer. "If only I had more money, I could solve this problem," we may conclude. Can money really buy peace of mind? "If only I could get away for a few days," we muse as we dream of a mountainside cabin overlooking a sun-dappled valley. But we all know that the 'geographic cure,' is temporary, at best. Some who find life's difficulties pressing down on them, indulge the sinful nature seeking relief in 'answers' that only create more problems.

That Psalm continues with this line: "My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth." (Psalm 121:2, NIV) There was no deliverer that was about to ride down from the hills, but the writer knew that there is a Deliverer, a Help in time of trouble. He is the Creator; His Name - Yahweh. (Jehovah, to some) He is our Help! We cannot go wrong by searching for Him, by waiting for His answer to arrive in our time of distress.

"He will not let you stumble; the one who watches over you will not slumber. Indeed, he who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps. The Lord himself watches over you! The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade." (Psalm 121:3-6, NLT)

Two truths comfort us.
The first is that God's care is available 'round the clock. When other friends weary of helping, when the dark hours of the middle of the night stretch on endlessly - He is not tired! He stands alongside of us when the demons that lurk in the darkness threaten!
The second is a truth that a person living in that arid desert appreciated more than most of us. "He is your protective shade!" In the heat of the day, a man could die in the desert from the scorching heat of the sun. A shady spot was a much needed place of safety at midday. God is always there for us - midnight and midday!

Have you grown weary in life? Do you need some help to cope, to stay on the road, to finish your task? Keep reminding yourself, "My help comes from the LORD!" Look for Help in the right place.

Here's a word from the Word for today; a declaration of commitment and hope.

"I will be careful to lead a blameless life— when will you come to me? I will walk in my house with blameless heart. I will set before my eyes no vile thing. The deeds of faithless men I hate; they will not cling to me. Men of perverse heart shall be far from me; I will have nothing to do with evil." (Psalm 101:2-4, NIV)
"My eyes will be on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with me; he whose walk is blameless will minister to me." (Psalm 101:6, NIV)
_______________________

Open our eyes, Lord,
We want to see Jesus,
To reach out and touch Him,
And say that we love Him.
Open our ears, Lord,
And help us to listen.
Open our eyes, Lord,
We want to see Jesus.

Open Our Eyes
Bob Cull© 1976 Maranatha! Music (Admin. by The Copyright Company)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: