Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Big smile, great speech - Pick me!

The article's title grabbed my attention, "How to pick a President." It is the cover piece in the most recent issue of Christianity Today. (June, '08) I wish every American would read it and discuss the thoughts of the authors before casting their votes for our next President. The central idea of the article is that "virtue trumps policies and ideology" as a qualifier for leadership! I want to shout - "Amen!"

The lengthy, grueling (some might say torturous) path to the Presidency means that anyone seeking the office must have an incredible self-confidence and inner motivation, what some call 'fire in the belly.' Nobody could survive the constant attention, the unrelenting attacks and minute analysis of each and every twitch and syllable, if he wasn't possessed by the idea that he just had to be the President of the United States. But from where does that desire spring? If it is pure lust for power, then we're in for trouble. Such a President will personalize his policies and be unable to realize the difference between personal success and the good of the nation. He will likely pursue his policies, even when they are failing, because of his need to 'win.' We must have a leader who is convinced that he can lead or he will be weak and incapable of rallying us to his cause. We also need a person who is equally convinced of his own inadequacy in the face of the challenges of being the most powerful person in the world. Such a person will use advice wisely and hopefully seek the wisdom of God on a daily basis.

The article to which I refer in the opening lines includes this paragraph. "The greatest temptation for a well-meaning leader is to use power corruptly in order to accomplish seemingly benevolent ends. The best insurance against corrupt power is to choose leaders with the combination of virtues necessary to use power well." In an age of image and 30 second news stories on 24/7 cable TV networks, the person with the big smile and easy turn of phrase has a great advantage. May God help us to see behind the smile and to listen to the heart, not just the speechwriter's craft. I write that intentionally, since it will nearly be an act of God to discern the 'real' person that exists behind the smoke and mirrors of highly paid image consultants that sell us our Presidents.


Virtue - goodness of heart - the qualities of faith, hope, and love, are important in every leader, not just the President of the US. Whether we're electing a local councilman, a pastor for our church, or a committee chair at the local PTA, we should seek those gifted to lead well from a solid character.


Does all this sound a bit naive? Perhaps. But still I hope! How about you?

Here's a word from the Word for us all...

"Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares; at the head of the noisy streets she cries out, in the gateways of the city she makes her speech: '...If you had responded to my rebuke, I would have poured out my heart to you and made my thoughts known to you. But since you rejected me when I called and no one gave heed when I stretched out my hand, since you ignored all my advice and would not accept my rebuke, I in turn will laugh at your disaster; I will mock when calamity overtakes you— when calamity overtakes you like a storm, when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind, when distress and trouble overwhelm you.'
Then they will call to me but I will not answer; they will look for me but will not find me. Since they hated knowledge and did not choose to fear the LORD."


(Proverbs 1:20-29, NIV)

No comments: