Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Bring on Spring!

Not in recent memory can I remember anticipating the Springtime more than this year. I was ready for the greening of the earth, even though the budding of the trees brings on the sniffles of allergies. The limbs of the trees in my yard that poked skeletally into the sky are now in full leaf. The lawn that was patchy and brown is now lush and in need of mowing twice a week. Praise God for Spring and the new life that accompanies the change of the seasons. Having never lived in a tropical climate, I cannot imagine life without the cycle of Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. In the Winter, I hope for the Spring's greening. In the heat of August, I look forward to the crisp evenings of the Fall and the spectacular beauty of the changing leaves. As those same leaves pile up on the ground and I tire of keeping up the yard, I look forward to a blanket of snow covering the earth yet again. Each season has its own blessings.

In my spiritual life there are seasons, too. There are times of high productivity and times of quiet preparation. There are times when I lay foundations and times when I raise the roof! There moments of celebration and days of sorrow. This I know certainly; each season has its own blessings, if only we will remain open to the whisper of the Spirit while we live in them! To be sure, in the time of harvest rejoicing comes more naturally than in the time of planting. Yet, the season of harvest has its own sadness for it is reminder of the end of another cycle of life.

The Word urges us to steadiness: "let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart." (Galatians 6:9, NKJV) I am living in a season of testing, a kind of winter of the soul, but I am convinced that God holds the seasons and cycles of life in His hands! As surely as Springtime follows Winter, the cold of trials will yield to the Lord's brightness and the Spirit will renew fruitfulness and life. Oh, for the faith to wait for the coming of Spring! Yes, in my spirit, I sense the winds of the Spirit bringing a new season of Life. I am ready, knowing that with the change there will be new challenges and new blessings.

So, Believer, what is the season in your life?
Are you, like me, feeling the cold grip of winter in your soul giving way to the Spirit's warm? Are you basking in the restful time of Summer, between the sowing and the reaping?
Are you reaping the benefit of a long season of planting and cultivating in a season of harvest? Enjoy the present season!

Give God the opportunity to do the appropriate work of that season in you, and to prepare you for the change that will come.

Ponder this wisdom of the Word. "For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven. A time to be born and a time to die. A time to plant and a time to harvest. A time to kill and a time to heal. A time to tear down and a time to build up. A time to cry and a time to laugh. A time to grieve and a time to dance. A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones. A time to embrace and a time to turn away. A time to search and a time to quit searching. A time to keep and a time to throw away. A time to tear and a time to mend. A time to be quiet and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate. A time for war and a time for peace." (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, NLT)

Then, pray that you will be faithful.

"I solemnly urge you in the presence of God and Christ Jesus, who will someday judge the living and the dead when he appears to set up his Kingdom: Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. (in season and out of season!)Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage . . . " (2 Timothy 4:1-2, NLT)
______________________
When in the spring the flowers
Are blooming bright and fair.
After the gray of winter's gone,
Once again the lark begins its tuning
Back in the meadows of my home.

Lord, to my heart
bring back the springtime
Take away the cold
and dark of sin,
O, refill me now,
sweet Holy Spirit,
May I warm and tender be again.

Bring Back the Springtime
Kurt Kaiser © 1970 Word Music, Inc. (a div. of Word Music Group, Inc.)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: