Monday, April 07, 2008

Plan "D"

We all have a preferred life path, plan "A." We have a back-up alternative, plan "B." There is that which we think is possible but unlikely, plan "C." But what often happens is, plan "D," that which we never even imagined in our wildest dreams or worst nightmares! Plan "D" is not always bad, though often frightening. It is the circumstance that develops unforeseen in our lives, that changes everything, and it shakes us to the core. Plan "D" events include situations like divorce, disease, career loss, a friend that turns against us becoming a foe, disaster, and spiritual crisis. They also can be serendiptious - a sudden promotion, birth of twins, the discovery of love, or spiritual awakening!

Many of us work very hard to keep surprises out of our lives. We plan carefully, build limits and walls into our lives, reduce expectations, and guard our emotions. Though we don't consciously think it, our guiding motto is "Better safe than sorry!" But surprises - both wonderful and not so great - manage to break through anyway. Having experienced some of those plan "D" moments in my lifetime, I can tell you that trusting God and staying faithful through them is the path to joy. If we resist Him, we will become embittered, miserable people. If we walk with Him, letting Him guide and lead, from our tears will water seeds from which grows the beauty of His character in us. In 1988, I found myself pastoring a small country church in New England, after serving on the staff of a suburban growing exciting church for eight years. Initially, I felt like the Lord had sidelined me. I wondered how long I would be 'in exile.' I experienced depression. But, I prayed for faith and embraced the place. That season of my life, which extended for over 12 years, was filled with rich experiences of ministry, loving people, and was of great benefit to my family. Looking back, I see so clearly that what I thought was a Plan "D" was actually God's gift where amazing blessings were bestowed on me for which I am thankful to this day!

In the book of James, the Spirit urges us to faithful acceptance of the lives that God gives to us. "Believers who are poor have something to boast about, for God has honored them. Those who are rich should boast that God has humbled them. They will fade away like a little flower in the field. The hot sun rises and the grass withers; the little flower droops and falls, and its beauty fades away. In the same way, the rich will fade away with all of their achievements. God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." (James 1:9-12, NLT) No, the Word does not teach us to be resigned to fate! We must not confuse acceptance of God's reign with resignation to 'life as it is!' James also teaches us, "Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. . . . The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results." (James 5:13, 16, NLT) Those 'wonderful results' are often not at all what we expected! They are what God, in His infinite wisdom, brings into our lives.

Believer, go deep with your faith. Let the Holy Spirit of God do His work in you, through you, and to you. He is not always 'fair' in the way that we would determine fairness. His ways are not always pleasant as we would desire. But He is always good, always present, and as the Word promises, "always working for the good of those who love Him and who are called to His eternal purposes." Yes, even on plan "D" days!

Here's a word from the Word. Join Job in this declaration of faith today. "But He knows the way that I take; When He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold. My foot has held fast to His steps; I have kept His way and not turned aside." (Job 23:10-11, NKJV)
_____________________

Day by day and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He whose heart is kind beyond all measure,
Gives unto each day what He deems best;
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

Ev'ry day the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He sure would bear and cheer me,
He whose name is Counselor and Pow'r.
The protection of His child and treasure,
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
"As your days, your strength shall be in measure,"
This the pledge to me He made.

Help me then in ev'ry tribulation,
So to trust Your promises, O Lord;
That I lose not faith's sweet consolation,
Offered me within Your holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E'er to take, as from a Father's hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till I reach the promised land.

Day By Day -
Berg, Carolina Sandell / Ahnfelt, Oscar / Skoog, Andrew© Public Domain

No comments: