Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Near to the Heart of God

I spent a couple of hours immersed in election returns before turning into bed last night. The arrogance of the prognostication of the talking heads was irritating, to say the least. Though they spoke in certainties, it was obvious they do not know the future or the minds of the American electorate much better than do you or I. I surfed from ABC, to FOX, to CNN, to MSNBC. Depending on the channel I watched, McCain was winning big or not taking the lead expected. Hillary was ahead, but not fulfilling her mandate, whatever that means. On one of the expert panels featured on CNN Paul Begala mocked Huckabee's Christianity. He sneered, "Can you believe Americans are willing to vote for a man who doesn't believe in evolution, photosynthesis, or gravity?" Last time I checked, evolution was still a theory of origins, in an entirely different scientific category than photosynthesis, but never mind the facts. Could somebody just move the election up to March, so we could get on with life?

While all that was being reported tornadoes roared through four southern states, killing 27 people last night. I thought about the lives that ended with a whirl of wind, about living rooms crowded with grief stricken relatives trying to put the pieces of life together. Presidential politics are not all that important to some communities today as they grapple with death and destruction.

In contrast to the chaos of presidential politics and the tragic news of whirlwinds, New York City had a party! They threw a parade for their Giants, raining tons of confetti on their heads as they made their way down Broadway to City Hall, where Mayor Bloomberg handed over the symbolic key to the city to the players and their coach. It was a pleasant distraction, especially when Michael Strahan took the podium, leapt into the air, and landed with a pronounced thud of both feet while declaring, "You know what we did to you? We stomped you out!" It was a gleeful moment in a dreary day.

I am so glad that in a world where life seems to be so unpredictable - yes, even random - I have a Savior! Knowing Jesus does not mean that I live above either the sorrows or the joys of being in this world, but He does provide me with assurance, with an anchor for my soul. Because I know that He does know what tomorrow holds, unlike those commentators who guess at it; because I know He is Lord of life and death even when the storms blow; because I know He gives the faithful joy that supersedes, by far, that produced by Super Bowl victories - I face today with hopeful expectation. When I come near to Him, He gives me courage to get on with life, to take on the challenges this day will bring.

Dear friend, are you secure in Him today or are you fearful?
Do the headlines make you want to hide out from real life, or escape into momentary pleasures?

Perhaps you're not even paying attention to the news because your own life is overflowing with drama! Perhaps the source of your insecurity is job loss, marriage problems, or spiritual crisis! God understands. I did not just watch the news yesterday. I was part of real life, too. In one short day, I prayed for a man who needs a job now to meet his family's needs. I preached a funeral for a family. I spoke with a man who was trying to make sense of his own life which presently is overflowing with sorrow. I prayed for a young woman who miscarried her baby two weeks ago and who has made some real dumb decisions since, as she tries to run away from her grief. And there was more, but I won't bore you with the details! I did not just offer sympathy. I took these needs to the One who knows the why and the what. And, I am confident that He is working and will work to bring about His purpose for those who will trust in Him.

Take this word from the Word, as I did today, and take hope from God's promise.
"God has given both his promise and his oath.
These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie.
Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls.

It leads us ...into God’s inner sanctuary." (Hebrews 6:18-19, NLT)
_________________

There is a place of quiet rest,

Near to the heart of God;
A place where sin cannot molest,
Near to the heart of God.

O Jesus, blest Redeemer,
Sent from the heart of God,
Hold us, who wait before Thee,
Near to the heart of God.

There is a place of full release,
Near to the heart of God;
A place where all is joy and peace,
Near to the heart of God.

Near To The Heart Of God
McAfee, Cleland
© Public Domain

No comments: