Thursday, February 14, 2008

Love Day

Call me a fool, call me overly sentimental, but I am very happy that the calendar includes a day to celebrate romance! Yes, I spent too much on cards and the roses are ordered. Clichéd? Perhaps, but I don't think that there is such a thing as 'too much' when it comes to celebrating our marriage. Well, there might be. I bought a Valentine's card (just for fun) for her a couple of weeks ago that measures about 16 by 24 inches! The picture of the rose printed on the front is so big, it is almost frightening. When Bev opened it, she laughed and blurted out, "What am I supposed to do with this?" The card cost $5. Her reaction was priceless, momentarily her surprise overcame her 'niceness.' Today she opened the 'real' one that reminded her of how important she is to me. Bev enjoys Valentine's Day, too. She handed me a pile of cards for our kids and grandkids that represented a lot of money for ink and paper. Why? Because love must be nurtured. Love that is simply assumed too easily dies. And guys remember this; those who are really 'in love' are never too sophisticated for Valentine's Day. Romance is not about careful calculation or sophistication. It's a heart thing!

Of course, there will be plenty of faux love spread around today. Cards, chocolate, and flowers will be purchased to make an impression, to manipulate, or to just meet expectations. Without real affection and esteem, the symbols of love are without meaning, even offensive. And what does real love look like? Not much like the depictions of it in popular culture. Our culture often equates love with sex! Of course sexual attraction is a part of love. The Bible is quite clear about that. There is an entire book devoted to it in the Old Testament. (Think Song of Solomon.) The Proverbs have more than one reference to sexual fidelity, too. And, Paul is clear, too. He tells Believing couples "Do not deprive each other of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves more completely to prayer. Afterward, you should come together again. . . ." (1 Corinthians 7:5, NLT)

Love is more than sex. Yes, you know that, but it must be said to counter the flood of sexual propaganda that threatens to engulf us in this culture. In this beautiful and challenging passage, the Bible gives us the whole story about love. Read it thoughtfully, won't you?
"Love is kind and patient, never jealous, boastful, proud, or rude. Love isn’t selfish or quick tempered. It doesn’t keep a record of wrongs that others do. Love rejoices in the truth, but not in evil. Love is always supportive, loyal, hopeful, and trusting. ....For now there are faith, hope, and love. But of these three, the greatest is love." (1 Corinthians 13:7-11, 13, CEV)

That kind of love costs more than a card or a dozen roses. It flourishes long after the hormones that spark sexual passions have diminished! It gives a beauty that really is more than 'skin deep.'

Love of that quality isn't restricted to spouse, family, or friend. It comes from God and flows from us to those who are unlovely. Jesus talked about love frequently. In one of his talks, He includes this: "God gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that." (Matthew 5:45-47, The Message)

I hope you're able to celebrate Valentine's Day. And you can, even if you're not romantically tied to anyone. Love, like Christ loved you! It will change your world; yes, that love will come back to change you!

________________________________________

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,—I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!—and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

No comments: