Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Before the Throne

Remember some of the best worship experiences you have had; no, not the one with the kickin' band, or the one where the preacher was eloquently stirring. Use another measure. Remember those times when you sensed God's amazing and powerful Presence settle over you, bringing awe and serenity. If you have never experienced that, I can only say there are not really words to adequately describe the moments, the response, the assurance that flows from such times. Of course it doesn't require a church service for us to know God's Presence. Indeed, my point today is that we should desire to live in His Presence all of the time. And there is this complication, everything in our daily lives conspires to keep us from living with an awareness of the Presence of God.

Headaches, car trouble, stormy weather, disagreeable people, the blare of media - the list is lengthy - all become distractions from being 'before the Throne.' If my own life is any gauge, a Believer can go a whole day rushing from job to job, putting out fires, coping with the 'stuff' that comes down the road at him- with little or no thought of God's wonderful Presence. But, we should not accept that kind of life as a normal Christian life! The Word reminds us to "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, NKJV) Perhaps your first thought on reading that line is the one that came to my mind - "Sure, I could do that if I lived in a monastery, but not in my world!" If that were true, then God would be asking the impossible from us, something He will not do.

The Lord asks us to make purposeful, conscious choices that keep us in His Presence.

The first is to choose joy. Don't confuse happiness, which is largely circumstantial, with joy which we can choose! The person who chooses joy is not fake, nor does she live in denial of the pain that comes her way.

Instead, she takes the next step, pray continually. How can a busy person do that? Keep an attitude of submission to God and refuse to go anywhere or do anything that would offend the Spirit and break your communion with Him! Selfishness, filthiness, greediness are a few of the things that move us away from being in a prayerful attitude. You can call me strange if you want, but I know the voice of the Spirit that says to me, "Stop what you're doing right now!" Or, He'll say, "Change the radio station." Or He says, "Turn off that movie." Or, He says, "Refocus your mind, now!" If I obey, His peace persists. If I resist, the serenity of living in His Presence ebbs away. The more a Believer learns to live 'in the Presence,' or 'before the Throne,' the more he treasures it. When my sinful words or actions, grieves the Spirit so that He removes His peace from my life, I cannot stand the loneliness that results and I find a place to renew our fellowship quickly.

Then, there is the choice to be thankful! Knowing how important this decision is to a person's experience of the Presence of God, the Enemy of our souls, does whatever he is able to do to get us to think we are deprived. He really works to cause us to live in envy of other's place. I believe that is one reason that God includes the 10th commandment - "You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor." (Exodus 20:17, NIV) I will never be content, nor live serenely, if I want what belongs to another- even if it is his spiritual experience. Thankful acceptance of this day and the provision of God for me to meet its challenges, is a key to living 'before the Throne.'

The Bible says that you and I are the 'temples of the Holy Spirit.' We are 'God's house.' Wouldn't it be a shame to claim to be a living temple, yet be bereft of the Presence that makes the temple glorious?

Here are words from the Word for your meditation today. May He keep you close as you choose to live 'before the Throne!

'Then he told me, "These are those who come from the great tribulation, and they’ve washed their robes, scrubbed them clean in the blood of the Lamb. That’s why they’re standing before God’s Throne. They serve him day and night in his Temple. The One on the Throne will pitch his tent there for them: no more hunger, no more thirst, no more scorching heat. The Lamb on the Throne will shepherd them, will lead them to spring waters of Life. And God will wipe every last tear from their eyes." (Revelation 7:14-17, The Message)
______________________

Before the throne of God above,
I have a strong, a perfect plea,
A great High Priest whose name is Love,
Who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in heaven He stands,
No tongue can bid me thence depart,
No tongue can bid me thence depart.

When Satan tempts me to despair,
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see Him there,
Who made an end of all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died,
My sinful soul is counted free.
For God the Just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me,
To look on Him and pardon me.

Behold Him there the Risen Lamb,
My perfect spotless righteousness,
The great unchangeable I Am,
The King of glory and of grace,
One with Himself I cannot die.
My soul is purchased by His blood,
My life is hid with Christ on high,
With Christ my Savior and my God,
With Christ my Savior and my God.

Before The Throne Of God Above
Cook, Vikki / Bancroft, Charitie Lees
© 1997 PDI Worship (Admin. by The Copyright Company)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: