Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Confusing MIght With Strength

Power is a major theme in our world, isn’t it?

Politicians build coalitions seeking to exercise greater power. Nations are armed to the point of bankruptcy. Punks on our streets have more guns than ever before. Lawsuits are common. Conflicts too often are settled by violence of one kind or another. Yes, I admit that when I feel threatened, there is always the temptation to evaluate my strengths, to determine if I have enough ‘might’ to flex my muscle and make the threat go away.

But, Believer, Jesus teaches us to respond differently! His words are not difficult to understand, but oh how hard they are to practice. Take a look. "Don’t hit back at all. If someone strikes you, stand there and take it. If someone drags you into court and sues for the shirt off your back, gift-wrap your best coat and make a present of it. And if someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. . . . Live generously. " (Matthew 5:39-42, The Message)

We object to His words as impractical, pointing out that they leave us defenseless. No, not defenseless, but unarmed! His words, if we accept them and live in them by faith, transfer our trust for defense to our Heavenly Father, who cares deeply for us. The Word promises justice. "Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord." (Romans 12:17-19, NKJV)

The exercise of power always raises the level of conflict. A tragic story from the time of the kings illustrates this. King Solomon died and his son, Rehoboam, ascended to the throne of Israel. The people came to him and asked for relief from their high taxes and forced labor. His older counselors urged him to be a servant to the people knowing that they would respond with support for the king. But he rejected their wisdom and took the people’s request as a challenge to his authority. His response was one of might, not true strength! “If you think life under my father was hard, you haven’t seen the half of it. My father thrashed you with whips; I’ll beat you bloody with chains!” (1 Kings 12:14, The Message) His insecurity fueled a foolish arrogance which led to the division of the nation and he spent the rest of his reign in a simmering civil war!

Rehoboam’s story is repeated millions of times. Men, who are bigger and stronger, intimidate their families instead of providing loving leadership. Bosses drive those they supervise with threats instead of building teams with concern. Neighbors built fences and write laws to protect their rights, only increasing alienation.

Believer, we are secure in Christ. Paul points out the many ways that life and people conspire to harm us, and then he says, "… despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:37-42, NLT) In His embrace, we can lower our defenses, and trust in His care.
_______________________


O love that will not let me go,
I rest my weary soul in Thee.
I give Thee back the life I owe,
That in Thine ocean depths its flow,
May richer fuller be.

O light that foll'west all my way,
I yield my flick'ring torch to Thee.
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in Thy sunshine's blaze it's day,
May brighter fairer be.

O joy that seekest me through pain,
I cannot close my heart to Thee.
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
And feel the promise is not vain,
That morn shall tearless be.

O cross that lifted up my head,
I dare not ask to fly from Thee.
I lay in dust life's glory dead,
And from the ground there blossoms red,
Life that shall endless be.

O Love That Will Not Let Me Go
Matheson, George / Peace, Albert Lister
© Public Domain
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: