Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Near to His Heart

Staying connected with others is a critically important part of spiritual, emotional, and even physical health! We are wired by God to be in community. A little boy I spoke with recently was crying softly. I asked him why and he said, "I hate going to school." The conversation revealed that he is alone, teased for being different, unliked, disconnected. Without intervention, his life will probably become even more difficult in years ahead. He needs friends. One of the curses of the elderly is loneliness. When infirmity makes it more difficult to get out, as they are less able to participate in church and social events, their isolation produces depression. We must remember them and bring encouragement to those who are shut-in.

The comfort that friends provide was a real blessing in my own life last week. As my friends heard of my father's surgery and illness, they reached out with emails, phone calls, and cards. So many repeated a similar theme - "Thinking of you, praying for you." Those connections were a lifeline for me and from them I drew strength. I thank God for the network of support that He has given me, increasingly realizing the value of being 'connected' as I grow more mature.

The most important connection, however, is the one that does not depend on social grace, or involvement in church or civic organizations, or even on electronic communications. It is our connection to the Living Lord, the Spirit of God! He who knows us best, loves us most. He does not abandon us when we are cranky, in pain, or complaining. He does not move on when our resources are exhausted. He does not move away, or turn on us because of misunderstanding or miscommunication. He says, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we may boldly say: "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?" (Hebrews 13:5-6, NKJV)

The Enemy of our soul knows the importance of being loved by God, so he tries to get us to focus on our sins so we feel alienated from the Lord. He attempts to make us see our difficult circumstances as evidence that God has abandoned us. One of his most effective assaults on the Believer in time of trial is a whisper - "God does not care. He is not there for you!" In Psalm 73, we read the prayer of a man who forgot, for a time, that God was near. He looked around and saw the wicked prospering. He saw injustice everywhere. He concluded that the Lord had taken a vacation, that He had abandoned His people. Then, he went to worship! "I entered the sanctuary of God, and I understood!" He re-connected with his Lord. His prayer continues: "I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you. Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you." (Psalm 73:22-25, NIV)

Believer, stay connected: with God's people, and with the Lord Himself.

When life is going well, when things are great, the temptation to self-sufficiency is strong. But, the time will come when friendship with Jesus and others will be your life-line. Worship regularly and often; both on your own and with the congregation. Stay 'in the Word.' Make time to express love for others, in big and small ways. Someday you will be glad for the support you will enjoy when those you have loved, love you in return.

Should the Devil be hounding you today, trying to make you think God is far away, cling to the Word which declares you are near to His heart. Here's a passage from Exodus. The simplicity of it is captivating. The descendants of Abraham had moved to Egypt. Over many years time, they had grown in numbers and been forced into slavery. It looked like God had forgotten His promises, but then He called a man named Moses to be the one who led them back to the Promised Land. Chapter 2 closes this way. Read it and then take the thought with you as a reminder that God is near!

"The Israelites groaned under their slavery and cried out.
Their cries for relief from their hard labor ascended to God:
God listened to their groanings.
God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob.
God saw what was going on with Israel.
God understood. " (Exodus 2:23-25, The Message)
________________________________

What a Friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry,
Everything to God in prayer.
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear.
All because we do not carry,
everything to God in prayer.

-- Joseph Scriven

No comments: