Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Home in Heaven

I used to scoff at 'Heaven talk' as so much escapism, a way to dodge the realities of life. I wondered, 'why do those old Believers get all misty eyed and claim to want to be in a place where they have never been?' Now, I am beginning to understand! I just needed to get a little nearer to home to feel the tug of Heaven.

OK, everybody relax. As far as know, I'm not dying, at least not today. I am not in despair. I have much to live for. But, Heaven is in my heart. A friend of mine stopped by my office yesterday. He was the best man at our wedding 33 years ago, so you get an idea just how far back we go. Jack and I talked about our families, our walk with the Lord, and life in general. As he was leaving, the conversation came around to the subject of eternity. We agreed that when we were younger, full of dreams and eager to change the world, that we thought very little of Heaven, but now it is more on our minds. I joked, "Jack, maybe God's plan in aging us is to help us let go of the things of this earth and get ready to go home!" But, that's really not a joke, is it?

African Americans, in the time of slavery, led hard lives, full of sorrow. So they sang of Heaven, of God's sweet home. They sang of the comfort offered by God. Songs like "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" and "There is a Balm in Gilead" and "Marching Up the Heavenly Road" and "Gonna Shout All Over God's Heaven" sustained their hearts with hope they could not find here in this world. My Pentecostal ancestors, people who were generally poor and struggling with difficult lives, often sang of Heaven, too. "When We all Get to Heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be, when we all see Jesus, we'll sing and shout the victory" they sang out on Sunday morning; and they meant it!

Heaven is not just a dream. It's not just a way to cope with life. It is home! The Bible says, "All these people died still believing what God had promised them. They did not receive what was promised, (the coming of the Kingdom of God) but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed it. They agreed that they were foreigners and nomads here on earth. Obviously people who say such things are looking forward to a country they can call their own. If they had longed for the country they came from, they could have gone back. But they were looking for a better place, a heavenly homeland. That is why God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them." (Hebrews 11:13-16, NLT) Peter tells us to keep our hearts set on our true Home. "Friends, this world is not your home, so don’t make yourselves cozy in it. Don’t indulge your ego at the expense of your soul. Live an exemplary life among the natives so that your actions will refute their prejudices. Then they’ll be won over to God’s side and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives." (1 Peter 2:10-12, The Message)

Don't worry about being 'so Heavenly minded, you're no earthly good!' The truth is that a Believer who has set his heart on Heaven is the most effective servant of God here on earth. He is not pre-occupied with trying to hold onto what is slipping away from him. He is not trying to build a kingdom here. He is not fearful of what may come into his life. Why? Because he knows that he's not home yet, and that his home is secure and ready for him.

So, take these words of Jesus with you. Memorize them. He promises, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." (John 14:1-3, NIV)

___________________________

Some glad morning when this life is o'er.
I'll fly away.
To a home on God's celestial shore,
I'll fly away.

I'll fly away, O glory.
I'll fly away.
When I die, hallelujah, by and by,
I'll fly away.

When the shadows of this life have gone.
I'll fly away.
Like a bird from prison bars has flown.
I'll fly away.

Just a few more weary days and then
I'll fly away.
To a land where joys shall never end.
I'll fly away.

I'll Fly AwayAlfred Brumley
© 1932 Hartford Music Company.
Renewed 1960 Albert E. Brumley And Sons (Admin. by Integrated Copyright Group, Inc.)
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: