Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Better

On this second day of 2008, as I look out over a new year, I see much for which to be personally thankful. I am blessed man, with a loving family, a warm and safe home, more resources than I need, and a knowledge of God's gracious love. However, it is crystal clear to me that the blessings I enjoy are not given to me so to insulate me from the need of the world in which I live! There is a temptation to turn my eyes from suffering, to give myself to pleasant diversions, to become another happily apathetic person who lives in a bubble of undisturbed bliss. Is the 'good life' really focused on finding the best restaurant, getting the best seat at the movies, buying a bigger screen TV, or playing a better game? For many Americans that is it! Why trouble one's self about children in developing nations that are sick and/or hungry? Why let issues of injustice in far away cities be of concern? Why give sacrificially to the support the work of church or charity when there is no immediate benefit except to reduce one's taxes?

Jesus told a story that I think is particularly appropriate to my life (and perhaps to yours?) here at the beginning of 2008. Take a look. "A rich man had a fertile farm that produced fine crops. He said to himself, ‘What should I do? I don’t have room for all my crops.’" (Luke 12:16-17, NLT) In short, he was blessed! He did what comes naturally to us. Instead of recognizing the Source of his blessings and participating in God's work with his surplus, he hoarded it for himself. "Then he said, ‘I know! I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll have room enough to store all my wheat and other goods. And I’ll sit back and say to myself, "My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!" (Luke 12:18-19, NLT) Do not make the mistake of misreading the lesson in Jesus' story. He is not condemning wealth, nor is He condemning wise stewardship. He is challenging the idea that we can be self-sufficient and He is reminding us of the importance of remaining in touch with God and His purposes even when life is filled with blessings. He closes the story with words that are strikingly harsh - "Just then God showed up and said, ‘Fool! Tonight you die. And your barnful of goods—who gets it?’ "That’s what happens when you fill your barn with Self and not with God." (Luke 12:20-21, The Message)

My word for this year of 2008 is "better."

I am praying that God will help me to use the skills, the resources, and the opportunities that are uniquely available to me to make my world a better place. I do not labor under any delusions of changing history. I care nothing for notoriety. I aim to be faithful so that I can enjoy the smile of the Great Keeper of Records and have a sense that my life was invested in a purpose bigger than making Jerry's days a little more pleasant. I want to help the one who is ready to quit in despair find enough hope to keep trying. I want to give a little child the security of knowing they are loved. I want to point the one who is seeking for life to the Loving Lord who gives lasting life. I want to encourage a Believer to discover the joy of being who God wants him to be. Each day I want to leave the world that I walk through, just a tiny bit better, God helping me!

What blessings has God invested in you?
What are you doing with those opportunities?

In 2 Kings, there is a story of provision. The Arameans were besieging the city of Samaria. The city was starving. Elisha, God's prophet, told them that in one day there would be an abundance of food. His words were met with scorn. Meanwhile, four men with leprosy whose disease had made them into social outcasts, were outside of the city walls starving. In their desperate plight, they decided to go to the Aramean army. When they got to the camp, they found that God had caused the soldiers to run off, leaving behind all of their tents and provisions. These lepers feasted until one of them realized that they had a greater responsibility. Here are their words, which I pray will be words that challenge us to use God's blessings in a better way: "We shouldn’t be doing this! This is a day of good news and we’re making it into a private party! If we wait around until morning we’ll get caught and punished. Come on! Let’s go tell the news ..." (2 Kings 7:9, The Message)
______________________

A charge to keep I have,
A God to glorify,
A never dying soul to save,
And fit it for the sky.

To serve the present age,
My calling to fulfill;
O may it all my powr's engage
To do my Master's will!

Arm me with jealous care,
As in Thy sight to live,
And O, Thy servant, Lord, prepare,
A strict account to give!

Help me to watch and pray,
And on Thyself rely,
Assured, if I my trust betray,
I shall forever die.

A Charge to Keep I Have
Charles Wesley © Public Domain

No comments: