Friday, January 04, 2008

Another dimension to life

Occasionally I have an experience that refreshes my appreciation of my relationship with the Lord. In a conversation with a couple of guys who had no idea that I am a Christian or a pastor, I listened to them brag about their drinking habits, their pursuit of 'babes,' and their various weekend diversions. The emptiness of their lives stood in stark contrast to the fullness of my own! Please do not misunderstand my attitude here. I am not crawling up on a pedestal to look down on others. Like Paul, I know that "God was kind! He made me what I am, and his wonderful kindness wasn’t wasted." (1 Corinthians 15:10, CEV)

Next week Bev and I will celebrate our 33rd anniversary, thanks be to God's goodness. In my marriage, I have a source of joy that my 'babe chasing' friend, whose marriage ended because of his wandering ways, cannot know. In that same conversation, another person made reference to the fact that he had fulfilled his 'Christmas obligations' by spending a day with his adult son and daughter, with the implication it was not something he did gladly. I enjoy my children's love and esteem, not because I am better or brighter than him, but because the Holy Spirit helped me to love and nurture them as a godly father through the years. My life is crowded with friends, abounding in hope and purpose, and my eternal home secure in Christ! What more could I want or need?

From time to time, someone will say "You're so lucky. You lead a charmed life, that knows so little of problems or sadness." I smile and thank the Lord! But, the truth is that my sojourn on this planet has not been a walk in the park without trials, temptation, or tribulation. I've known sorrow, seduction of the sinful nature, and disappointment as much as any other man. The difference is that those things have not broken me, because I do not walk alone. God has led me through dark valleys and His promise has proven true - "I may walk through valleys as dark as death, but I won’t be afraid. You are with me, and your shepherd’s rod makes me feel safe." (Psalm 23:4, CEV)

Once again, let me emphasize I do not write these words to boast, but to exult in the amazing grace of God! I deserve judgment; I am gifted with life abundant! Yes, to be sure, there are choices to be made and I am responsible for choosing, day after day, to say "yes" to Him, in order to continue to know His goodness. But, even those choices are empowered by the Spirit who works deeply in me, drawing me to the Presence and favor of God, in Christ Jesus.

Are you 'rich toward God?' (Luke 12:21) Are you pursuing Him, seeking to live in the center of His goodness, enjoying the wealth of His favor? You can! I do not belong to an exclusive club that is open only to those of some special bloodline or heritage. I received the grace of God, and you can receive Him, too.

Here's what the Word says. "For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so that we could be made right with God through Christ. As God’s partners, we beg you not to accept this marvelous gift of God’s kindness and then ignore it. For God says, "At just the right time, I heard you. On the day of salvation, I helped you." Indeed, the "right time" is now. Today is the day of salvation." (2 Corinthians 5:21-6:2, NLT)

Choose now to receive the gift of God's undeserved favor. Let Him hide your life in Christ. I cannot promise you that all your troubles will go away. Neither the Scripture nor my experience of the Christian life would support such a claim. But I can promise you that you will find a whole new dimension to life, one that is beyond the reach of those who live apart from the Spirit!
__________________

How rich I am
since Jesus came my way,
Redeemed my soul and
turned my night to day.
How very rich, how very rich I am!

Such peace and joy
I never knew before.
And countless blessings from
His boundless store.
How very rich, how very rich I am!

There's a greater glory in a sunset,
A brighter twinkle in a star,
There's much more promise in a rainbow
More music in a singing bird by far;

All things have changed
my eyes once blind can see,
The whole wide world is
now a symphony,
And with all this,
heav'n is my destiny,
How rich I am!

© 1956. Renewed 1984 John W. Peterson Music Company CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: