Monday, October 01, 2007

Wake up!

As I write these words, I am shaking the cobwebs of sleep from my head. I'm finding it hard to think clearly, because I did not rest well. While chasing a soccer ball across the church's parking lot yesterday, I fell hard and re-discovered that 52 year old bodies do not have the same levels of resilience that they used to have! Pain from my bruised ribs and skin lacerations intruded on my sleep throughout the night so I am not at my peak form. Rest is such a critical part of life, isn't it? Health experts universally agree that getting the proper amount of rest is one of the health choices that should be high on our list of priorities. Rest is not just sitting down to watch TV or read a book. Real rest requires several hours of deep sleep each day, along with shorter pauses for rest. During those 'down' times, our bodies repair themselves; our minds sorts the data accumulated; and we are better prepared for maximum productivity in our 'up' times.

The lesson from our body's need of rest is applicable to our spiritual life. Spiritual health requires rest! Our physical bodies signal our fatigue with clearly understood signs, but spiritual fatigue can be much more difficult to discern. We keep giving, push on in service, deal with inner conflicts, wrestle with sin, and.... our spirits grow tired. Spiritual fatigue can make itself known in depression, in discouragement, in doubt, even in greater amounts of temptations! When our spirit is tired, we may find ourselves tempted by sin that in more rested times would not attract the slightest attention from us.

Do you know that even Jesus grew weary? The Gospels tell us that He made time to step away from the press of His work, taking His disciples to find rest and renewal. Despite the urgency of need that surrounded him, Jesus knew that he would not be all He could be if he was without spiritual renewal. "Large crowds came to listen to him teach and to be healed of their diseases. But Jesus would often go to some place where he could be alone and pray." (Luke 5:15-16, CEV) He offers each of us true soul rest saying, "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace." (Matthew 11:28-29, The Message)

True spiritual rest requires more than diversions, more than taking a day away to play! Spiritual rest demands renewal of our communion with God.

Knowing our tendency to fill our lives with endless activity, noise, and stuff - God established the Sabbath principle, demanding that we take one day in seven to worship, to look up to Him, to be renewed in worship. This principle is so widely ignored today, even by Christians, it is no wonder that many are collapsing from spiritual fatigue, destroyed by their lack of balance in rest and work! Spiritual rest demands extended times of quiet listening for the voice of the Spirit, too.

The Christian tradition of contemplative worship is another widely ignored discipline. Even our 'spiritual' activities are usually packed with noise and 'doing' things! How many of our corporate worship experiences these days have even a couple of minutes when the instruments are stilled and the preacher is quiet? In our personal time of worship we often crank up the music or reach for a book. What we might need to do is find silence, a place without distractions where God can speak to us in the depth of our being.

The Scripture speaks forcefully to us saying - "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you." Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise." (Ephesians 5:14-15, NIV) That's a great verse, but it assumes another principle - rest!

Are you finding it hard to 'get going' for the Lord today? Perhaps the Holy Spirit is calling you to find rest. Do not neglect the important disciplines that bring inner renewal - silence, meditation, and contemplative prayer. A rested Christian is an effective Christian!
____________________________________________

You're calling me to lay aside the worries of my day;
To quiet down my busy mind And find a hiding place-
Worthy! Worthy!

I open up my heart and let my spirit worship Yours,
I open up my mouth and let a song of praise come forth-

Worthy! You are worthy!
Of a childlike faith;
Of my honest praise;
And of my unashamed love.

Of a holy life
Of my sacrifice
And of my unashamed love.

Unashamed Love
Lamont Herbert
CCLI License No. 810055

No comments: