Friday, September 28, 2007

Driven or Drawn?

I fell onto the couch at 8:15 last night and said to my wife, "let's run away!" [No, I did not really mean it!] The unrelenting responsibility that is part of life seemed overwhelming, at that moment of weariness. I just could not think of getting up another day to do it all again, and again. But, then I continued my conversation with her saying, "I've got to do this one day at time, don't I?" Just about every working person I know has moments like that. Living in a world where the struggle with weeds, rust, and rot never stops, we all become tired, or frustrated, or fed up from time to time.

Weariness becomes more of a problem when we allow life to drive us instead of letting the Lord draw us! When I look at my calendar and see meetings and deadlines filling up day upon day, my adrenalin surges and I 'suit up' for work. Before long I find myself a slave to those tasks, driven by a need to 'get it done,' instead of rejoicing in the opportunity to make a difference in the world. Either way the work is accomplished, but if the focus is just on checking off tasks, I become a cranky man, not too pleasant to be around, and certainly not marked by the Presence of the Spirit of Jesus Christ. When I step back and start to thank God for the opportunities to teach, to counsel, and even for the more mundane work involved with being the Pastor a local congregation, I still get tired, but because I am drawn along by a sense of His calling, I don't get that desperate feeling that the work is about to consume me.

This isn't just 'pastor' stuff. Whatever you do, you can let the work drive you, or you can present yourself to the Lord and let Him draw you along. We are called to be hard workers, diligent in doing our job, with the right perspective. And what is that? Take a look. "Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people." (Ephesians 6:7, NLT) There it is. Do what you do, not just to 'make a living,' or 'to keep the boss off your back,' but to please the Lord.

Do you see your work as an opportunity to serve the Lord? Some of you are thinking - "What planet does this guy live on? Does he have a clue about the place and/or people with whom I work?" Maybe I don't. But, I do know that there is no place on earth where God's Presence cannot go! The Word says, "I can never escape from your Spirit! I can never get away from your presence! If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there. If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me." (Psalm 139:7-10, NLT) And He asks you and me to carry Him with us into places, good and bad, difficult and pleasant.

If you're stressed by life today, let me encourage you to take a few minutes to readjust your focus. Instead of complaining about the responsibilities, thank God for the opportunities. Instead of just 'getting the work done,' look for ways to do the work well for the Lord's sake. "Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do." (Ephesians 5:16-17, NLT)
____________________________________

May the fragrance of Jesus, fill my life;
Let His light shine through me, I pray,

May His glory and power, fill this place
That the world would seek His face!

Forever You shine in me!
Forever You shine through me!
Forever You shine in me!
Forever You shine!

Fragrance of Jesus- Terry Keenan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Jerry, Grampa, Father in Law, Brother in Christ, that is a great message for me to take to work with me. I thank God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit for giving you the words and wisdom to change/save the lives of others. Im looking forward to seeing you during the holidays. Love you, miss you, -Cord