Monday, October 22, 2007

Real Joy, Inspiring Hope

I am hopeful about tomorrow! Neither the threat of war, nor the supposed onset of the "last days" makes me worry. Militant Islam is a real issue for the world, but I am not losing sleep over it. Industrialization is having an impact on the environment, but I am not in despair about that. (Sorry, Mr. Gore!) Churches in this nation are, on the whole, not very healthy, filled as they are with unconverted people who serve themselves rather than Christ; but I am confident that Christianity will thrive, none the less. (Yes, I believe that with all due respect to Mr. Barna's research!) When I see what is happening in America's homes and families, I am motivated to work for real change, for the trends are not good. Yet, I believe there are victories ahead. (Dr. Dobson's gloomy forecasts not withstanding.) Personally, I do not like what the process of aging is bringing my way, but I anticipate blessings that will offset the losses. And, yes, Heaven is closer every day.

Is all this 'hope,' just coming from a relentless optimism? Not at all!
Am I just choosing to ignore reality to 'look on the sunny side of life?' No, again.

My hope comes from the Lord! Through the whole Bible there is a thread of hope that is tied to God's faithfulness, to God's promises to ultimately defeat Evil. My life is anchored in Him, therefore how can I not win in the end, too? I need not trudge through life marked by negativism and need, sucking life from all those that come into my circle like a black hole consumes matter. Instead, as I am renewed by the Holy Spirit, I am made radiant, a person who reflects God's light and life to the world in which I live and work. This is more than optimism or living positively. There is nothing wrong with either of those except that sooner or later they can be defeated. Seasons in life come when there are many difficulties and troubles, when sickness and death come in waves that nearly overwhelm us, when disasters diminish the quality of life, and when unexplained suffering stretches on, and on. In those times, thinking positively won't work. Mere optimism, in those moments, is just whistling bravely in the dark.

But hope that comes from God is greater than anything that comes our way in the course of life. The Scripture says this - "None of this fazes us because Jesus loves us. I’m absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God’s love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us." (Romans 8:37-39, The Message) The more of life that I experience, the more hopeful I become, precisely because I see His faithfulness through it all.

Jeremiah, a prophet who was called by God to preach to a people who ignored him for his entire life, remained full of faith. Why? Because he was thinking positively? Perhaps he did, but his real hope was anchored to his conviction that God was greater than the circumstances in which he found himself. "The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning. I say to myself, "The Lord is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!" (Lamentations 3:22-24, NLT)

Believer are you facing a tough day, a hard week, a challenging Fall, a long Winter?
Will you allow the challenges that stretch out in front of you to rob you of the joy of living and turn you into a negative person who drains vitality from others? Or, will you turn to the Lord and take hope from Him?

Let God, be God. Give up your demand to make all things fit your ideals or meet your agenda. Make Him Lord of all, and you will find that hope will grow strong, sustaining you, filling you with faith that overcomes.

Here's a word from the Word. May it create hope in your soul today.
"I will extol the LORD at all times; his praise will always be on my lips.
My soul will boast in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
Glorify the LORD with me; let us exalt his name together.
I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.

Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame.
This poor man called, and the LORD heard him; he saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.
Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
Fear the LORD, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing.
The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing."
(Psalm 34:1-10, NIV)

No comments: